Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to upgrade! Oly 1030SW to Canon S90

Shark

Time to upgrade! Oly 1030SW to Canon S90

well, finally bit the bullet...

going to upgrade from my 1030SW (I've taken some amazingly good pictures with it) to a Canon S90... the S90 has a larger sensor, seems to be way more sensitive, coupled with the F2.0 lens, should make for a great starting point...

just going to do the Canon housing - I've never had a problem with the other Canon housing I used to have, the Oly housing I have now, nor my co-workers Canon G9 housing...

what this is really leading up to is me upgrading my DSLR from the Oly E500 to an E520 and putting it all in a housing... I just can't justify those prices yet though...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Congratulations!!

Can't wait to see some photos, let us know what you think when you get it put together.
    DevilDiver

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    As long as you're not planning to use add-on lenses (wide angle or macro), and are ok with the work-around needed to use the back control dial, the Canon housing is probably good fit for your lifestyle.

Shark
    its my understanding the ike doesn't give access to the rear dial...

thought about doing the ike housing after all, but that kinda sucks, and I'm not sure how often I would want to use a different lens... decisions decisions...

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
    its my understanding the ike doesn't give access to the rear dial...

thought about doing the ike housing after all, but that kinda sucks, and I'm not sure how often I would want to use a different lens... decisions decisions...
    Neither Ike nor the Canon give direct access to the rear dial, but there is a work-around that works with each.

Hold the S button, and then the buttons to the left and right on the dial function as up/down buttons, to simulate turning the dial.

From speaking to users that do this, it works, although it's not as elegant as it could have been and it makes adjustments a two-handed operation.

The Ike it better housing if you're going to be exceeding rec limits. (rated to 200' vs. 130') The Ike is the better housing if you're going to be adding on external lenses: It has a 67mm threaded port. You're stuck with 67mm, though, which is more of a pain than bayonet (AD mount) connections. And wide angle options are limited. Also, the Ike housing is really designed to be used with an external strobe... if you're wanting to use the internal flash, the lens tube is too big and blocks too much of the flash, casting a big shadow and rendering the internal flash fairly useless.

So Ike is a great choice if you're adding strobes and add-on lenses, and plan to take it deep.

If you want small and inexpensive, and want to use the internal strobe rather than an external one, the Canon housing is the way to go (of the two).

The Fix housing is the best by far, but it's HUGELY more expensive (more than 4x the Canon price). But it gives access to internal strobe, deeper depth rating, many more add-on lens options AND you can actually use the rear control dial as a dial.

Shark
    I may just get the Canon housing for now and just upgrade later if deemed needed... or, by that time, I will have decided to splurge and get the housing for my Oly SLR...

Shark
    bit the bullet... went ahead and ordered everything tonight... went overboard a little and got a decent strobe kit as well... total cost for everything was about $950... for anyone wanting to spend under $1000, I think this is the best setup I could imagine for the money...

Canon S90
    Canon WP-DC35 housing
    Ocean Optical base / lightweight arm set
    Fantasea Remora Strobe / sync cable

and, I also found that Fantasea makes a wide angle lens that attaches to the front of the G7-G11 housings... since this housing is very similar (as far as lens shape goes), I wonder if one of those would work, or it Fantasea might end up making one specifically for it...

Shark
    night dive friday, two dives today, and here are a couple results shots...

man, the external strobe makes it more difficult to get exposure perfect, but it makes it real easy to get lighting and reduce backscatter...

Shark

Shark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information