Grouper
    Go with the dive op
    Diving Rocks! along with tugboating

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerAg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Go with the dive op, not on your own.
    Thatís a big 10-4 old buddy

On my first trip to Cozumel, our dive club stayed at the hotel Barracuda (real dive) You can do a night dive right off the back to of the hotel. I must be noted that the Mexican Navy is also right next door and down current. When we started the night dive one of our dive buddies put a flashing light right where we were to turn east back to the hotel. When we were finished with the dive my buddy took back his flashing light and we finished our dive.

One person did not return, and so we notified the hotel that one of our group was missing. The desk clerk made some phone calls, then informed us that he had been found, and all was OK! The next morning he still was not back but we still got on the dive boat. When we got back that afternoon our buddy meet us on the dock. And this is what he told us;

He missed the flashing light and the current carried into the Naval Yard. He surfaced to get his bearings and was meet with automatic rifles. He was taken into a room where he was questioned all night. He was released just 5 minutes after the dive boat picked us all up.

Don't go out on your own!
    Big fan of the Barracuda, spent a good amount of time there my last time down...super fun place to stay...BR

Grouper
    Images
    bigman please take this in the spirit in which it is given but you scare me. not for myself but for you. to even consider a night dive on your own in a strange location before you are even certified is scary. it's good you asked the question nothing wrong with that but please take the advice of the good people on this forum and slow down.
    I may be an old lady but I didn't even consider a night dive for over a year after I was certified and had a few dives under the belt and had some idea of what I was doing.
    your enthusiasm is great and I hope you have a wonderful time but the ocean is not going anywhere anytime soon it will still be there when you get some more experience.

Shark
    The way they talked it wil be big deeper. LOl maybe in a year we can dive Madison square garden. I knew or atleast had a good feeling the night dive would be a terrible idea on our own. DO not worry I ant going to do anything that will kill me. I hope well maybe properly. Just joking.
    Thanks for your concern. I took it for the spirit it was. I tend to take stuff good. Guess it was my growing up
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDMAN View Post
    bigman please take this in the spirit in which it is given but you scare me. not for myself but for you. to even consider a night dive on your own in a strange location before you are even certified is scary. it's good you asked the question nothing wrong with that but please take the advice of the good people on this forum and slow down.
    I may be an old lady but I didn't even consider a night dive for over a year after I was certified and had a few dives under the belt and had some idea of what I was doing.
    your enthusiasm is great and I hope you have a wonderful time but the ocean is not going anywhere anytime soon it will still be there when you get some more experience.

Shark
    Were I you;

1. DAN offers free insurance to OW students. Sign up for that online, and you're covered.

2. Hire a Dive Master to guide you on a daytime dive of the area that you will dive at night. Take a digital camera and photograph the likely hideing spots of nocturnal creatures, like the wiley octupus. Back in the dive shop, or your hotel, map out the places that you want to check during the night dive.

3. Go back at night with the DM, and take note of the difference between daytime animals, and nightime animals.

Please drop a little extra cash and hire a DM. She or he will make your trip much more rewarding.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Guppy
    I have yet to do a night dive. I am going to Cozumel in about two weeks for a week. I have been looking at the dive ops night cert course which requires three night dives. I like the idea of doing this with an instructor.

Has anyone done this course? Looking for recommendations and advise. One of the reasons I chose Scuba Club was the opportunity for some leisurely night shore dives with my camera. Is the course overkill, would it be better to just hire a guide for the first shore dive?

I really don't know what to expect.

Thanks for input

Grouper
    If you are going to be in Cozumel for your OW certification, get the best experience you can. If I were in your shoes I would do my first night dive there.

First time I went night diving was in a quarry in Pennsylvania in March (aka it was 40 degrees F) and vis was obviously not optimal. I did start to get panicky when I was going down the line, but that ended pretty quickly cause I remembered I had plenty of air.

Get your feet wet into night diving while you're there and everything else will be a breeze!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information