Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: night dive question.

Shark

night dive question.

We are going to cozumel in march 3rd to the 15th. We will be doing our ow cert dives there and I had a question. WOuld it be a bad idea for us to either do a night dive with the dive op from the boat or a shore dive on our own. Or should we wait till we have some dives under our belt

Shark
    Images
    You, question, really? No way! lol

Seriously though I LOVE night dives, and given you get your cert I would highly recommend it. That said I would not recommend doing the dive as an unassisted diver that fresh out of OW school. I/we know you are rip-roaring and ready to spread your wings and dive. but again, slow down a bit. you will be diving in a strange location, even if you dive an area you have perviously been to, its a VERY different place at night, especially with new skills. Go with an instructor or guide you wont regret it, they know where the octo lives and what rock to look under etc.
    Last edited by Rileybri; 01-30-2010 at 15:37.
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Go with the dive op, not on your own.
    DevilDiver

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    +1

You're not familiar with diving, let alone with Cozumel. And diving at night can be very disorienting, even when you're familiar with the place during the day. Take all the help you can get and go with the DO.

Funeral Jorunna
    Got to agree with everyone else here go with the DO.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Shark
    dive op it is. Properly play it by ear on the night dive get the cert and a few 2 tank dives in might do it on the last dive day.

Guppy
    Images
    Thatís a big 10-4 old buddy

On my first trip to Cozumel, our dive club stayed at the hotel Barracuda (real dive) You can do a night dive right off the back to of the hotel. I must be noted that the Mexican Navy is also right next door and down current. When we started the night dive one of our dive buddies put a flashing light right where we were to turn east back to the hotel. When we were finished with the dive my buddy took back his flashing light and we finished our dive.

One person did not return, and so we notified the hotel that one of our group was missing. The desk clerk made some phone calls, then informed us that he had been found, and all was OK! The next morning he still was not back but we still got on the dive boat. When we got back that afternoon our buddy meet us on the dock. And this is what he told us;

He missed the flashing light and the current carried into the Naval Yard. He surfaced to get his bearings and was meet with automatic rifles. He was taken into a room where he was questioned all night. He was released just 5 minutes after the dive boat picked us all up.

Don't go out on your own!

Shark
    I think I can top that. And this might be long. When we drove 300 or so miles into the heart of mexico through reynose mexico and got lost we found our selfs in a odd part of the country. We stopped in the middle of no where and found a field that looked like a nice atv spot but keep going for 15 more miles till we came by a town and all it was where some houses and a community well in the middle so we headed out figureing there was more money in our gmc then in the town. When we came back by the field we stopped and dropped the quad out of our trailer. I rode and for 10 minutes before I noticed busted beer bottles everywhere. Then I noticed the field was plowed and ready to replant. It looked like dirt from indiana and was right off the road. Odd I thought but I rode around slinging grass and mud all over the field. It seemed to us to be a dirt field between the clean fertile field and the 100s of beer bottles shot up just seems the most likely answer to it. Properly not the best Idea to be riding arounda mexican dope field but hey I was just 18. When I head up a dirt road a old ford truck came by and stopped. When I head back to the truck and trailer they followed me out. We had been there for a hour no cars go by not a sound. In the first 20 minutes into the second hour me and my dad counted 40 cars trucks and van go by 5 minutes later the would go back the other way. The guy that was with us flow out of the woods scared to death saying he stopped by a old trailer and some mexican came out screaming at him and let out 4 huge dogs that chased him out of the woods. When we was perparing to leave I went back down into the field so dad could take a pic of me in the field and we left. We got 40 miles down the road and got stopped at a border check. They dropped the trail ramp and dam near shot us on site. We had a 4000 dollar atv, a 6000 seadoo jetski and 10000 worth of jetski parts. They asked us what we where doing so far into their country. We where headed by montery and was going to head back to new mexico where we where headed. They told us to turn around and go back to our country. My dad said no we need to go this way. 15 or so army guys pointed full auto m16s or close to it rifles at us and said you go that way NOW. I had to drive the wrong way for 20 miles on a divided highway. At the border they told us a week before they had found 352 cartel members dead in a mobile home by the little burg we road our quad at. I still think to this day it was the same trail. This all happen about 2 years before the dope wars started up and the storys we hear now. Hopefully cozumel will be a better trip
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerAg View Post
    Thatís a big 10-4 old buddy

On my first trip to Cozumel, our dive club stayed at the hotel Barracuda (real dive) You can do a night dive right off the back to of the hotel. I must be noted that the Mexican Navy is also right next door and down current. When we started the night dive one of our dive buddies put a flashing light right where we were to turn east back to the hotel. When we were finished with the dive my buddy took back his flashing light and we finished our dive.

One person did not return, and so we notified the hotel that one of our group was missing. The desk clerk made some phone calls, then informed us that he had been found, and all was OK! The next morning he still was not back but we still got on the dive boat. When we got back that afternoon our buddy meet us on the dock. And this is what he told us;

He missed the flashing light and the current carried into the Naval Yard. He surfaced to get his bearings and was meet with automatic rifles. He was taken into a room where he was questioned all night. He was released just 5 minutes after the dive boat picked us all up.

Don't go out on your own!

Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    dive op it is. Properly play it by ear on the night dive get the cert and a few 2 tank dives in might do it on the last dive day.
    ...or maybe not on the last dive day, depending when your flight leaves. Need to allow sufficient time between diving and flying.

Shark
    I was thinking the last dive day is the night dive I want to do on the 13th and getting on the plane the morning of the 15th. I think with my size issue I am going to call dan and go over it before we leave and get everything ready so I can call and get the dan membership and diver insurance after the cert dive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damselfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    ...or maybe not on the last dive day, depending when your flight leaves. Need to allow sufficient time between diving and flying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information