Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech Diving

Grouper

Tech Diving

Are there any good info spots for info about tech diving? I think I will take classes soon but I really want to know a little more about what I'm getting into.

Grouper
    If your profile is accurate (<25 dives) I would suggest getting a LOT more dives in before even thinking about "tech" diving.

Why do you want to do that type of diving?

If you do go down that route be prepared to spend LOTS of cash

www.thedecostop.com is a good place to read and learn

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images
    You can start here. http://www.divetekadventures.com/Home2.htm and you can check this out http://www.gue.com/
    There are others but this will give you a good idea.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

oops, Ian beat me to it..might try theDiveMatrix also, they have sort of a tech/DIR slant.
    Last edited by diversteve; 09-03-2007 at 18:28.

Grouper
    I know I need lots, and lots , more dives, that is one reason that i'm looking for info and shopping for high quality gear, i don't want to have to rebuy gear, I'd rather spend a little more now, than replace later.
    Every thing just refers to "Tech diving" never giving any more explanation.

Thank you for the links!! I'll check them out later.

Spend a little time on Scubaboard also, Tech, BP/W, DIR, GUE, Hogarthian etc. is endlessly discussed there.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtrewyn View Post
    Every thing just refers to "Tech diving" never giving any more explanation.
    It's because "tech" diving can refer to many different types of diving - its a category of diving if you will - just as there is various "recreation" diving
    Last edited by NitroWill; 09-03-2007 at 22:48.

Grouper Founding Member
    Check the NAUI website as well.

The Deco Stop (www.thedecostop.com) is a bulletin board aimed specifically for technical divers. That includes people doing deep decompression diving, wreck penetration diving, and cave diving. They're all different communities of divers, with somewhat different concerns and techniques, and use somewhat different equipment at times.

If you are thinking about technical diving, you should have a specific goal in mind: For example, if you live where there are a lot of wrecks you would like to dive that lie in depths requiring staged decompression, then you have a specific goal. Just thinking about "tech diving" for fun is not a good way to approach the idea.

Anybody contemplating doing technical dives should spend significant time getting lots of varied dive experience and polishing their basic skills. If you are seriously interested in going this direction, GUE's Fundamentals class is a good place to start. You can take it in a single tank, as long as you have a basic tech setup (backplate and wing, long hose, bungied backup, non-split fins) and it will give you an idea of where the bar is set for tech diving classes.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtrewyn View Post
    i'm looking for info and shopping for high quality gear, i don't want to have to rebuy gear, I'd rather spend a little more now, than replace later.
    This is what I would suggest for gear purchases:

Get a BP and a wing made for single tanks.
    Get good quality,DIN regs. (I use Apeks, ATX 50 and 40 seconds,DS4 first stage)
    Get a 7 foot hose and bungee your backup around your neck
    If you get a tank then get either an Al 80 (DIN) or a large steel tank .The Al tank will work later for a stage,the steel could be half of a pair of doubles.
    Get Scubapro Jetfins with Springstraps.
    Get a good quality backup light. Something like an LED Photon Torpedo should be bright enough for a primary in a lot of recreational diving.
    Get a simple wrist mounted computer.Preferably with gauge mode (although you can always bend it on tech dives at which point it will automatically go into gauge mode !) Do not get an air integrated, hoseless,all singing all dancing computer.

The above gear will work fine for recreational diving and you can use all of it (except the single wing) for diving 300 foot deep caves in the future.

To get started in "tech" all you would need would be a doubles wing,a set of double tanks (maybe using one of your existing tanks) another first stage reg,and a bottom timer.

And deco training,and trimix,and cave and a scooter and a drysuit and............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information