View Poll Results: Do You Have A Facebook Account?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 72.73%
  • No

18 27.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have A Facebook Account?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images

Question Do You Have A Facebook Account?

A few days ago, I invited a delightful young lady to attend the ScubaDillo Dive Club meeting in Dallas. She has not been diving in a while, so I thought being around divers might respark her interest.

During our conversation, she asked me what my Facebook account was. I stated I had none. Well, this 30-year-old girl looks at me like I'm from the Stone Age with that "oh, you poor, dear, old man" look.

So...do you have a Facebook or MySpace account? If so, what's the account name?

I don't have one, because it was recently reported on CNN that employers, insurers, and lending institutions search these sites for comments you've made, comments made about you, and comments made about the people that make comments about you. Scary stuff. I also don't want to end up on Failbooking

After the meeting ended, I got back into my buggy, cracked the whip, and pointed Ol' Sal towards Irving.
    rick

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I too do not have a Facebook account, because I just never have seen the attraction in having one. Same goes for LinkdIn and all the other 'social networking' sites out there.

When the article came out recently about how prospective (and in some cases current) employers were asking for social network IDs and passwords from their workers, I felt the whoosh of Big Brother passing me by....

PPM
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Grouper
    Images
    Do not want... Amazingly, people I know still know how to contact me.

Barracuda
    Images
    I've got a FB account. I don't use it much.
    * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes *

Barracuda
    I have one, I love FB

Grouper
    Nope, not interested.
    Say When....

I have one and really like it.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I have a FB account. I use it every so often to keep in touch with old class mates, friends, AF buddies, etc. Unlike MySpace, using one's real name is required. This makes it VERY easy to look up people that I haven't talked to in years (or for them to look me up).

It also comes in handy to communicate with deployed freinds that have no or little access to a phone, as well as the ability to keep in touch with rogue relatives that I don't know well enough to call.

I worry very little about an employer looking me up; In fact I would encourage it. My FB account is mainly chit chat that one would do in passing at the grocery store and is not damaging in anyway (OPSEC anyone?).

If anything I would encourage you to make a FB account and set it so that any activity will be sent to your email. Even if you never plan on using it. You never know when someone from your past will look you up and shoot you a message.... (okay - that could be good or bad )

Grouper
    Images
    I use FB and linked in. Linked in is my 'professional networking' site - If I want to find out if I know anyone with links to a particular company, or line of business it makes it very straight forward.

Facebook is my personal goober presence on the web.

Incidentally, not withstanding facebook itself seeing access to everything you post, you have fairly good control of who sees what about you.

Up until recently, if you knew my first and last name, you couldn't even find me on facebook...eventually I chose to make myself searchable.

At any rate - I certainly wouldn't shove facebook down anyone's throat...but I do enjoy keeping in touch with friends and family in new an interesting ways. I am lousy at writing letters, and even worse at sending emails. Now I can put up pictures of the kiddo and let all of my family (and no one else) have access to it.

I don't twitter.
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Grouper
    I have one and it's a great way to waste time. I have everything set to private so that only friends can see me misbehaving; if a prospective employer demanded a password to anything I would politely thank them for their time with my favorite four-letter verb and a preposition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information