Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are warrantees transferrable?

Are warrantees transferrable?

I've got an opportunity to buy a pre-owned Oceanic dive computer (VT3) that is supposed to be still new in the box from someone who bought it and now wants to sell it. Is the warrantee transferrable to me if I buy it from the orginal owner as long as they bought it from an authorized dealer?

I'd assume it would be from the original purchase date which is fine, and I'd probably need the original receipt to show the original purchase date, but if I had that would the 2 year warrantee still be in effect even if I'm not the original buyer?

Barracuda
    Images
    From Oceanic's website:

"Oceanic intends to provide the original purchaser of its products from Authorized Oceanic Dealers with defect-free performance during the specified warranty period. " (Emphasis added.)

So. No. You don't get a warranty with used gear, which is defined as anything you buy from someone else.
    - Fisheater

Barracuda Founding Member
    Generally, not for scuba gear in the USA. In many EU countries. consumer protection laws require transferable warranties.

I was afraid this might be the case. I guess manufacturers don't want used gear to devalue their new sales, which I can understand to some degree, but in this case if I don't buy this one (and if I can't get warrantee support I probably won't), it's just as likely I'll buy another companies product. In this way Oceanic potentially just loses a customer who may have become a big supporter and bought more products in the future.

Not picking on Oceanic specifically since many companies are like this, I never really understood why manufacturers don't just cover products from the data of original purchase or manufacture no matter how many times it may change hands. Even a second buyer may become a great long term customer. And it's not that difficult to manage, many computer parts (hard drives expecially) companies do this, they register each unit built with the data of manufacture, if you don't have an original receipt for the first sale with a later date, they will use that date to determine warrantee eligibility no matter who currently owns the product.

If the original purchaser did not register his computer you might be able to register it yourself. If you know the seller then he may be able to relay it for any warranty issues.

I wouldn't pay anywhere near a "new" price for it but if you get a really good price I wouldn't put too much into the "warranty".
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

Guppy
    Bare drysuits, and Poseidon regulators have lifetime warranties that go with the product! You just need to regester with them (free of charge with Poseidon),after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeParrish View Post
    Not picking on Oceanic specifically since many companies are like this, I never really understood why manufacturers don't just cover products from the data of original purchase or manufacture no matter how many times it may change hands.
    The answer is simple. Such warranty coverage would cost the manufacturer more and those costs would have to be eaten or passed on. So, since neither law nor competition requires it, we probably will not see many transferable scuba warranties

TadPole
    Maybe customers should insist that receipts for scuba equipment list the seller as Your Name et al.

Et al meaning and others.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    The answer is simple. Such warranty coverage would cost the manufacturer more and those costs would have to be eaten or passed on. So, since neither law nor competition requires it, we probably will not see many transferable scuba warranties
    Not to mention the fact that a non-lifetime warranty runs from the date of purchase. Most of them specify that it be from an authorized dealer so that they can verify that date via a trusted source.

Unless the used gear is significantly cheaper, it's better to get it from a place like ST and put it on a credit card that carries extended warranty as a perk. We got my wife's laptop fixed for free that way even though it was a month past the mfg warranty.

Good idea on the credit card, I always forget about that.

Turned out I had a few unexepected expenses come up (need a new air conditioner/furnace) so my new computer budget has been trimmed significantly . This may work out anyway, while I may miss a great deal, I really don't like the worry about having put money into something doesn't carry a warrantee.

It looks like with the new line of Oceanic computers out that some of the dealers are starting to do clearance sales on their older models. Hopefully ST starts this, I'd really like to get one from them rather than from somewhere else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information