Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Isn't night diving spooky???

Grouper
    I love night dives. In fact here in N.S. your open water check out dives include a night dive just because of the nature of our climate.

Night diving isn't for everyone, and given the nature of your question, perhaps it's not for you. Research sea life, and behavior, then decide.
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.

Guppy
    After Dark is when you get to see the ocean from a different perspective. Most of the life in the ocean is nocturnal. In places like RI where I dive, a good dive is 10' vis, you ain't goin' see the monster coming anyway. At night you can only see as far as your light so the illusion is of unlimited vis! Also all the colors washed out are restored. What looked like a dull dark bottom during the day becomes a garden of colors at night. IMO you haven't had a complete view of the ocean until you dive after dark. Of course you have to be comfortable to enjoy the experience. If you have access to a pool you could go in the pool at night and just hang out getting the sensation of being underwater in the dark without the monsters We're always afraid of the unknown. I went night diving after watching Jaws earlier during the day in the theater. It wasn't my first night dive. I'm not sure I'd have ever gotten into the water if I had watched Jaws before ever getting in there day or night! I'll admit to hearing a little of the music in my head!

The water can look more intimidating at night from the surface than it does once you're under. Once you're in, you'll probably discover thinking about it and letting your imagination go into overtime was way spookier than reality.

Guppy
    For me... missing a night dive borders on sacrilege. - DRg
    " Never underestimate your anemone!"

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive Rong View Post
    For me... missing a night dive borders on sacrilege. - DRg
    That's no lie! I still haven't heard the end of missing a night dive 2 years ago.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    More than half of my dives are done at night. As others have mentioned, a different set of creatures comes out at night. The octopus are out hunting. Mantis shrimp scurry about and dive into their burrows. Sheepcrab are foraging for a snack. More nudibranchs are crawling around. Definitely lots to see.

One of the best things about my local night dives is that there are a lot fewer divers out. This translates into fewer people spooking all of the marine critters.

In some ways, it's much easier to keep track of and communicate with your buddy at night. Passive communication (watching your buddy's light) is a great indicator of whether your buddy is doing OK...and the light can be seen from any viewing angle. A quick shake of my light across my buddy's beam path and I have his/her attention instantly. During day dives, I rely far more on hand signals and making eye contact with my buddy.

The only downside is that there seem to be more stingrays out in the shallows. More foot shuffling is required, but it's a small price to pay.

Once you become accustomed to night dives, you really should try a dawn dive. It's painful waking up so early, but pretty cool to start off doing a night dive and finish the dive just as the sun rises. There's a "shift change" going on underwater at that time, so it also makes for interesting critter-watching.

Images
    At first night dives can appear to be a little spooky, but they are awesome! So much more to see at night. Did a Dawn Dive a couple years ago....got in the water while it was still dark and met the day as the sun came up. It's great watching the reef wake up. One of my all time favorite dives.

Snagel

Guppy

night dives

Night dives are great. I dive black water up here on some good days have 10 in vis during the day. But at times in other places we have up to 12ft all depends. night dive all the fish are out crawfish are out really relaxing to see what is out at night. give it a try you wil love it

Shark
    i did a "rush hour"dive(dusk to dark) and really enjoyed it-night diving, not so much, although i did do the night dive specialty to try to develop an affinity for it-prefer to spend evenings relaxing at the bar with a refreshing beverage

Grouper
    like I said, night diving isn't for everyone.

Myself, the limit is an overhang, took me 5 yrs to go under a dock! 15 yrs later, still not my favorite! Caves/caverns/boats........."Fa gettabout it"

To each their own, nothing wrong about that. If your uncomfortable with it, don't do it....period.

Later on, the day may come.
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information