Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Isn't night diving spooky???

I plan on doing some night dives this year. Its not going to be much different then our typical clarity. LOL

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    I plan on doing some night dives this year. Its not going to be much different then our typical clarity. LOL
    It might be better!!!

TadPole
    I see more fish at night up here near Seattle. If you turn your light off, you see bioluminescent life all around you. They light up when disturbed by fins, etc. We also see Harbor seals. They follow the light, hoping to grab any fish you illuminate. Night diving in Puget Sound is awesome!

Ron

Grouper
    A big plus for night diving = fewer divers to spook the critters

Grouper
    Images
    It was my 2nd night dive which prompted....

Just a breath

I will never be an astronaut, but I am an aquanaut. I can still don my life support system and explore a weightless world, enveloped by a potentially hostile environment, encountering alien life forms as the ultimate explorer.

I have found a place where my buoyancy is an asset. Where I can glide with the grace of a great white, soar with the serenity of a swordfish, drift with the dexterity of a damselfish.

I was awakened to this awareness on night dive off the coast of St. Kitts, West Indies. We waited aboard the boat, for the last remnants of daylight to fade. Once we were able to peer over the side into the darkness of the deep we knew it was time to depart the safety of our dry, air-rich environment. We had a pre-excursion briefing, geared up and giant strided into oblivion.

Our underwater spotlights, radiated like searchlights from space rovers in a futuristic movie. The only illumination to the dimness being what we brought with us. The shadows from the Talata wreck hovered like the abandoned hull of a deserted S.S. Enterprise. I was treated to a personal fireworks display of bioluminescent marine microbes, sparkling like swirling stars when agitated in the wake of my passing. Nocturnal crustaceans and other creatures crawled across the sea floor, oblivious to our presence. Basketstars unfurled their tendrils to trap their daily rations. Around me the landscape and its inhabitants flowed at the leisurely pace only possible in a density thicker than breathable air.

It was then that I beheld him. The largest, most majestic hawksbill turtle I have ever seen, seemingly larger than even Gamara himself. He seemed to hover in the vacuum of space, surrounded only by the planktonic life reflecting my dive light like celestial bodies light years away. It was in that moment, that I found bliss, and will ever reminisce the kiss of the abyss.

I will never be an astronaut, but I am an aquanaut, where deep space is only a dive trip away…

Grouper
    Wow, beautiful, journey PH. Thanks
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information