Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best travel gear bag

Grouper
    I picked up the ArmorBag a few months ago to replace an L.L. Bean rolling duffle that I used for years. I took it in a scuba trip in December and can give it an opinion of it. It holds a full set of gear including a pony but minus a regulator set and mask. I'm able to easily stay under the 50 lb weight limit. The bag is light due in part to not having an extension handle. But that also introduces one of the major drawbacks-Pulling the bag a long distance is awkward. Also, The bag doesn't stand up on it's end when loaded. If I had to do it over, I would get another Bean rolling duffle.

Quote Originally Posted by greylion View Post
    Thanks Kat, that is a good deal.

I talked to my wife this morning about this and we seem to be leaning towards a Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler or Cozumel Cruiser or Armor Light Armor roller. Anyone own one of these?

Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler Roller Dive Bag reviews and discounts, Stahlsac

Armor 110 Light Armor Roller Dive Bag reviews and discounts, Armor

Stahlsac Cozumel Cruiser Duffel Dive Bag reviews and discounts, Stahlsac

Thanks gee.

Barracuda
    I bought a Coleman roll duffel from Target stores in January 2009 for my trip to Bonaire. It was perfect. It has 2 distinct packing areas. When flat, it zips the entire case to reveal a "hidden" or lower area. The lower level held my fins, BC, shoes, and lots of my clothing. The top 2 compartments held wetsuit, toletries, and remaining clothes.

This bag was checked. I packed my reg, computer and mask in my carry-on.

I really liked the idea of buying "normal" luggage, rather than some of the very cool looking scuba luggage. One reason was price. The other reason has to do with the word SCUBA on my luggage.

PS - This was my second luggage purchase. The first was returned to the store because my fins did not fit well. You may want to take measurements of your fins before you shop to save yourself the trip.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by gNats View Post
    I really liked the idea of buying "normal" luggage, rather than some of the very cool looking scuba luggage. One reason was price. The other reason has to do with the word SCUBA on my luggage.
    I'll second this comment. We use regular luggage without anything to identify that there is scuba gear inside. No point in advertising and making it easier if someone at the airport is looking to obtain some free gear ...

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Kat View Post
    I'll second this comment. We use regular luggage without anything to identify that there is scuba gear inside. No point in advertising and making it easier if someone at the airport is looking to obtain some free gear ...
    The hard part is finding "normal" luggage that is lightweight and can adequately accomodate fins. Plus, I knew I needed a rolling bag, since I would be self-shlepping my gear. I looked at a lot of bags and thought they would be a great size only to realize that the "main" compartment was too small for my fins. A lot of duffel style bags have end compartments, which really cuts down on the overall length of the main compartment.

This goes without saying, but when packing, use every nook in cranny in your gear to pack stuff. We took lots of snack food items to Bonaire; I packed our snacks in my dry wetsuit booties, my fin pockets, empty BCD weight pouches. If it was a space, it was filled. I was amazed at how much space my gear took in my one available travel bag. Even though I took the minimum of clothing, it was still a full and tight bag.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Kat View Post
    The hard part is finding "normal" luggage that is lightweight and can adequately accomodate fins. Plus, I knew I needed a rolling bag, since I would be self-shlepping my gear. I looked at a lot of bags and thought they would be a great size only to realize that the "main" compartment was too small for my fins. A lot of duffel style bags have end compartments, which really cuts down on the overall length of the main compartment.

This goes without saying, but when packing, use every nook in cranny in your gear to pack stuff. We took lots of snack food items to Bonaire; I packed our snacks in my dry wetsuit booties, my fin pockets, empty BCD weight pouches. If it was a space, it was filled. I was amazed at how much space my gear took in my one available travel bag. Even though I took the minimum of clothing, it was still a full and tight bag.
    LOL! Sounds like we 'operate' the same way! I currently use a standard 26" rolling suitcase made by Delsey (known for their lite-weight products) I can just fit my Apollo Bio fins in it. I pack things in every nook & cranny. Small items go in my booties which go in the fin pockets. We also bring energy bars & mix for our SI's, and some snacks. It gets real interesting when we get there and I have to remember what's packed in what, in what! It's become an art form getting everything to fit in that suitcase and a small rolling bag for carry-on. Had to go completely rolling finally on both bags as I blew out 5 discs on my back. But hey! Who needs to travel with clothes! As long as I can fit my dive gear, I'm good to go!

I will say - other than TSA dumping my cocoa mix out in my bag one trip home - we've been lucky and no one has messed with our bags. They even went to Cozumel without us one trip - they made the plane, we were bumped off - and when we got there a day later, the bags were all fine, and had not been touched.

Bought the Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler, thanks for the ideas.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbletrubble View Post
    The drop-bottom part and the wheels add a significant amount of weight to the Costco rolling duffel. I thought the backpack straps wouldn't be very useful at first, but I've actually used them a couple times and they do work. I'm not so sure that the bag is prohibitively heavy. The Akona Lightweight Rolling Duffel of comparable size weighs 9 lbs. 6 oz. I can live with an extra 2 lbs. given the price and excellent return policy.
    I bought a high end Akona rolling suitcase/dive bag. I won't buy another Akona product. All the inside pockets have torn at the zippers and the liner is also torn. The handle on the outside, used to pull the bag, is cheap and will not stay up. It's also too short. If I try to roll the bag backwards the handle collapses. The wheels are cheap plastic and won't stand up to anything more than minimal use. I am looking for a replacement bag, very light and durable with skater type wheels and no logos to indicate dive gear. One that will be long enough to put my Apollo fins in.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    I usually go by 'you pay what u get for' policy on things to buy, like some things you can skimp but others you can't

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Did a quick search as I am always looking for a better bag and found this link:

Armor Wheeled Travel Backpack Protective Bag - Outdoor Recreation - Pool Supplies

Just under $40 including shipping for one of their best bags. Impressive... wonder how well they hold up.
    I am sure you picked up on this. It is a cover for your luggage not the actual luggage and it's $47 with shipping.

After paging through the thread I see someone else already picked up on this. Sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by Zeagle Eagle; 03-04-2010 at 16:56.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information