Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closest to Tyler "good" dive spot?

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle Dipper View Post
    We plan to check out Daingerfield State Park, and Lake Hawkins this year.

Lake Hawkins might be a waste of time. My mom and I tried to dive it a couple of years ago. Here's the link to our report. http://forum.scubatoys.com/texas-swa...ve-report.html

IMO, Daingerfield is not worth gearing up for either

Grouper
    I have dove just about every lake in this area, mostly work related. Tyler State Park and Dangerfield were the best of the lakes since both are spring fed and very similar. They both had 5-6ft visibility and double that during good times. Lake Bob Sandlin, Lake Cypress Springs, Lake Monticello, Mt Pleasant City Lake are all pretty much zero visibility. We even have installed a dive platform on Lake Bob Sandlin and are planning on adding some "sunken objects". The past few years have been terrible on visibility in East Texas Lakes. We had two years of severe drought that caused lots of aquatic plants to run rampant and have had a year and a half of above normal rainfall. Maybe the weather can get back to normal soon so visibility will improve some.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAGGY View Post
    I have dove just about every lake in this area, mostly work related. Tyler State Park and Dangerfield were the best of the lakes since both are spring fed and very similar. They both had 5-6ft visibility and double that during good times. Lake Bob Sandlin, Lake Cypress Springs, Lake Monticello, Mt Pleasant City Lake are all pretty much zero visibility. We even have installed a dive platform on Lake Bob Sandlin and are planning on adding some "sunken objects". The past few years have been terrible on visibility in East Texas Lakes. We had two years of severe drought that caused lots of aquatic plants to run rampant and have had a year and a half of above normal rainfall. Maybe the weather can get back to normal soon so visibility will improve some.
    Thanks Shaggy.

Tyler State Park is pretty close for me, but I wasn't all that impressed when we went there last May. First dive was OK (about 12 ft), but it quickly dropped due to silt coming off the vegetation.

Is there any particular time of the year that's better than others?

TadPole
    I haven't seen Tyler State Park much better than 15' vis but that's about as good as it gets in East Texas. The dive parks can get better than that, but sometimes vis falls off in those spots too. I like to lurk in the hydrilla and jump out and scare the fish. Or, spray cheese and watch the "frenzy" as the bream go after it. I work on compass skills too. Hit the platforms and just play or practice some skill. It doesn't take a lot of vis just to have fun. At least not for me. But I'm a pretty laid back sorta of person that thinks it's ok to pee in my wetsuit, and ask my budddy(when I have one) "is this yourine?"

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle Dipper View Post
    I haven't seen Tyler State Park much better than 15' vis but that's about as good as it gets in East Texas. The dive parks can get better than that, but sometimes vis falls off in those spots too. I like to lurk in the hydrilla and jump out and scare the fish. Or, spray cheese and watch the "frenzy" as the bream go after it. I work on compass skills too. Hit the platforms and just play or practice some skill. It doesn't take a lot of vis just to have fun. At least not for me. But I'm a pretty laid back sorta of person that thinks it's ok to pee in my wetsuit, and ask my budddy(when I have one) "is this yourine?"
    I do hope that you rinse before putting into the trunk or the back of the SUV.

TadPole
    I carry a plastic bin to throw my wet stuff in and then put my wetsuit in the washing machine on gentle rinse with Woolite after every trip. Works for me. Say any of you folks dive in Brady
    Branch lately? I read a thread on here from a few years ago. Just wondered how it may be now.

You can dive in Tyler State Park? I go out there quite a bit for mountain biking...didn't think the water was good for anything but fishing or looking at.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper_steve View Post
    You can dive in Tyler State Park? I go out there quite a bit for mountain biking...didn't think the water was good for anything but fishing or looking at.
    Apparently there's a spot called Brown's Point that's a favorite of one of the local shops (Scuba Steve), but I have no personal experience with conditions there.

PPM
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information