Thread: Atomic B2

TadPole

Atomic B2

I'm considering purchasing an Atomic B2 reg from ST next week. I've heard mostly great things about ease of breathing in all conditions, comfort, etc... I've recently read a few reviews which talk about 'squealing' problems.

Anyone have direct experience? Thoughts?

I like ST's package with the Aeris Atmos AI. How is the Mares Viper octo? I know it will do the job.... anything better that's also streamlined? Or stick with it?

Thanks!

Guppy
    Lots of problems, especially squealing. Atomic replaced my B2 with a brand new one, and the replacement squeals. Look at a reg that is has a diaphram, and not a piston. Don't believe me??? Just look at the forums.

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Personally I couldn't be happier with my B2. The only time mine squeal is before dive when I test breath from it. Once in the water it's fine. What other problems are you having kroorda? Just curious.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Shark
    I've dove dozens of Atomic regs and have never heard this "squealing" every reg makes some noise both in and out of water, but this is unknown to me... I have also never even heard a single real life complaint about them. I've read a few, but never actually saw the complaint in person, and we deal with Atomic, so if someone has a problem, it comes to us...

Although I am a fan of diaphragm regs for sure, I can definitely tell you that almost every major manufacturer of regs out there has a high performance piston reg. For instance, Scubapro's highest rated reg is a balanced piston design, the MK25... Sherwoods high end reg is also a balanced piston design, and of course Atomics as well... There are others, but those three stand out for sure...

read this thread for a few comments over on SB:

Does Atomic Z2/Z2x squeal? - ScubaBoard
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Guppy

Squealing Atomic B2

Your Atomic B2 should not squeal in or OUT of the water. Other regs don't normally squeal! Are you in denial because you paid so much for your regulator?
    Don't kid yourself.... There is a problem with the B2.

Take a look at this: Question for Atomic Owners - ScubaBoard

My B2 has been in for service (To Atomic) and they have not been able to repair the problem. The third time I sent the reg to them, they replaced it with a brand new one. When I just took the new B2 diving, it also squealed. To make sure the problem wasn't with me or my breathing, I exchanged regs with my wife (who also has a B2, a friend who has an Atomic T1, another friend who uses a Sherwood SR1, and another friend who uses an Oceanic Reg. When I gave any of them MY B2, the B2 squealed for each and every one of them. However, when I used any of their regulators, I experienced no problems or squealing at all. That's pretty darn convincing.

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    I agree, that sounds pretty convincing. I don't know why yours squeals, and mine doesn't. Mine is a sealed version, but I converted it after a year of diving. Not that adding the sealed feature to yours won't fix the problem. In fact, it should since the spring will be coated in christolube. But that still shouldn't be the only solution because of the added expense of christolube when you have it serviced.
    Last edited by BSea; 11-15-2010 at 11:37.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Guppy
    Bsea:
    My wife also has a B2 and hers' does not squeal. However, when I switch with her, my reg still squeals for her, and hers' is still quiet for me. Not every B2 is noisy. However, enough of them have 'noise problems' that it should be a concern not only for Atomic, but for anyone looking for a new regulator.

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    I agree 100% kroorda. It should be a concern to Atomic. While mine is fine & I've never heard one squealing, that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. My only reason for bringing up the possibility of sealing your reg, is so you could at least fix the squealing. It's not the ideal solution, but it may be the only real solution. As for an explanation of why it only happens in the B2, it might be the difference in materials and other parts. The Z2 doesn't have a swivel, and that might cause a difference in the harmonics that's described in the thread you linked. The M1, ST1 & T1 have several parts made of different materials that may have something to do with it. But as to why 1 B2 squeals while another doesn't, makes no sense to me.

- Jimmy Buffett

Thread Information