Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon G11 vs S90

Guppy

Canon G11 vs S90

Hello guys/gals...

My wife and I are looking for our next camera. We have narrowed it to either Canon G11 and Canon S90. However the two things that has me still undecided are:
    1) Will I loose anything by the fact the S90 does not have a hot shoe?
    2) I noticed when you half press the shutter button the G11 shows a zoomed in image of the focus point so you can tell if you are in focus, does the S90 have this feature. When I played with it I saw that it shot right away, could not get it to half press and also the zoomed in center came in the preview and now before taking the pic. Anybody who owns the S90 or both could you clarify these questions. I would be happy with the G11 but the size and price savings of the S90 are hard to ignore. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

Nestor

Grouper
    The S90 does have a half press but if you push the shutter down all the way it will shoot. The half press is easy to do with the S90, maybe you just need to lighten up. Now, I can only speak for the FIX housing but I can FEEL the half press just fine.

I chose the S90 because of it's ability to accept wet lenses in the FIX housing, the fast lens and the ability to control directly the shutter speed and the f stop with the FIX housing, something the S90 is unique with even including most dSLRs and the small, packable size.

Yes, if you push the shutter straight down, the S90 will shoot.

A hot shoe is of no importance to me, a negative in fact. I have two optical Inon D2000 strobes, don't need a hot shoe and the only housing that can use the hot shoe with the G11 is the Ikelite housing when used with an Ikelite strobe both of which are too large for me, I want a carry on luggage rig.

BTW, yes, you can do a half press and check focus, it is covered on page 85 of the manual which can be downloaded from the Canon web page under support I think it is. You have to turn this function on under Menu.

N
    Last edited by Nemrod; 02-21-2010 at 01:25.

I had the same dilemma. I actually bought the G11 and then sold it a few months later. It was too large and bulky for its purpose IMHO. I went with the S90 and couldn't be happier. I think it is a great little camera.

Guppy
    Thanks for the feedback. Im leaning towards the S90, I just cant ignore the 400 savings on just the housing alone.

Guppy
    How is the dual knob handling with diving gloves? Any issues?

Grouper
    The Ikelite and Canon housings only allow use of the front ring, the FIX allows use of both front and rear ring controls via two knobs. How would they work with gloves, don't know, probably as poorly as any camera does with thick gloves and better than most.

N

Shark
    unless going full TTL with a SLR, I can't imagine needing / wanting a hot shoe...

also, you can half press easily, even with the Canon housing... the slightly larger aperture is definitely a nice feature of the S90 over the G11, and of course, the S90 is half the size of the G11...

there is an easy workaround to use the rear control dial on the S90, you simply hold the shortcut button, then use left and right buttons... it would be nice to have that feature like the FIX does (allowing full use of the rear ring), but, the Canon housing does just fine for the $170 I paid for mine...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Guppy
    Could someone verify that the FIX S90 enclosure has the standard tripod mount or something different like the Ilelite dual screw system. Have not seen any pics from the bottom up. Thanks...

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by pershing View Post
    Could someone verify that the FIX S90 enclosure has the standard tripod mount or something different like the Ilelite dual screw system. Have not seen any pics from the bottom up. Thanks...
    I think I answered your question in the other thread where you asked the same thing, lol.

It has two tripod sockets, 1/4X20 threads. The Ikelite uses two 12X24. The DIY adapter above installs the FIX90 onto a Ikelite tray.

Here is my Ikelite tray with my DIY adapter for the FIX and arms for accessories:

N

Guppy
    Yeah you did, I had asked it on one thread and then asked it on the other since I did not get a quick answer here. It made it real clear. Thanks. So I think I have all my requirements clear. It uses Ikelite style fixing bolts to the tray. I can use both Sea and Sea and Inon fiber optic cable with the adapter they sell, right? I can use 67mm wet lenses with the adapter they also sell. I think its a matter now of ordering one and playing with the tray handle configuration. Wait, how is the shutter trigger, I think I saw a lever, how well does it work. Sorry for the questions but Im going to buy 2 of these and want to make sure I dont get any surprises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information