Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riviera Maya June 16th whats a good dive

Guppy

Riviera Maya June 16th whats a good dive

going to the riviera maya, staying at barcelo maya palace june 16th till june 23, so i have some time to dive. we usually go to cozumel twice a year and dive, but htis will be our first trip to the cancun south area. i have read of whale sharks dives during this time. does anyone have any info on this or any recomended dive shops located in the riviera region, preferably close to the hotel.
    thanks

Shark
    Perfect! I was gonna post this same question! Might be able to get down to Yucatan in the next few months. So, where to go?

It's only impossible.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    You are not that far south, just past Playa Del Carmen.
    Barceló Hotels & Resorts - Google Maps

The resort looks nice, they claim to have a dive op on site, could be a satalite location from a main shop.

** Within the hotel facilities we have a company which provides diving clases and promotes diving routes.

I would do a little research and see if one of the op's out of Playa Del Carmen (Fantasea Dive) or Puerta Adventures (Dive Adventures) to see if they will pick up. You could look into diving the Cenotes if that is something that intrest you.

Be careful of the whale shark excurrsions if they want to take you to Holbox, that would a really long drive from that area.

The diving can be great but it is different from Cozumel, no walls, mostly spur and grove coral and canyons.

Should be a great trip...
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    You could look into diving the Cenotes if that is something that intrest you.
    If I ended up back down there south of Playa del Carmen, I'd want to do a Cenote dive.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Whaleshark snorkels generally go out of Isla Majures or Isla Holbox on the north & Northwest side of Cancun.

Guppy
    thanks for the information. i guess i could just as easily dive at the cozumel locations that i am familiar with in addition to the cenotes dives.

thanks

Guppy
    Definitely try Mayan Aqua Dive out of Cancun... they do great Cenote trips and pick you up at the hotel. Cenotes is their passion and it really shows. It is the best diving I have done, hands down...

Images
    If you are looking at booking an off site dive op I would check out Dive Adventuras in Puerta Adventuras (Just North of you resort). I have used then twice and would recommend them. They offer ocean and cenote dives...

Dive Aventuras Mexico scuba diving vacation packages Puerto Aventuras

The issue with using operators out of Cancun is that would be a 1 hr drive each way. Playa is possible but that is still at least 15-20 min drive north, I would not think they would travel that far South by boat for pick ups.

The deal with trying to dive Cozumel from the mainland is you either need to get to Playa>the ferry>Cozumel both ways just to dive or if the mainland dive op goes to Coz it will cost more plus the boat ride over and back will take a lot of time. Both of these options will cost more, take a lot of time and be a PITA.
    DevilDiver

They offer ocean and cenote dives...
    Is it required you have cave diving cert/exp for cenote diving? I would imagine you would since you are technically in a cave.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkh6070 View Post
    They offer ocean and cenote dives...
    Is it required you have cave diving cert/exp for cenote diving? I would imagine you would since you are technically in a cave.

Although special certification is required for divers who want to penetrate caves, no advanced training is necessary for certified divers who want to explore the cenotes, since routes theoretically always follow tunnels with access to natural sunlight.
    DevilDiver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information