Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At non-checkout dive sites, do divers give care if someone wants to dive solo?

Guppy

At non-checkout dive sites, do divers give care if someone wants to dive solo?

I have read threads about instructors giving solo divers dirty looks. I'm wondering if that's just because an alternative example is being set right there.

At locations that are not populated with student divers, do divers care if one wants to dive solo?

Barracuda
    Images
    it all depends. go anywhere in florida during bug season - nothing but solo divers on the boats. go shark tooth diving in venice - it's expected that you solo dive. go spearfishing (anywhere) - you get the point.

for me, i try not to make a point of judging any other divers (or their gear). but i do notice when someone seems ill-prepared for a solo dive. as a rescue diver, i take note, and try to remain aware if i'm in the water with them...
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Grouper
    I never seen anyone care and I think it is cool sometimes to go alone however it's more fun to have someone their watching ur back
    Diving Rocks! along with tugboating

Grouper
    Most of the time nobody cares. Once in a while the busy body will show up who has an agenda to make the world safe for Democracy as long it is their form of it. Yeah, I would walk right through a checkout dive on a public beach and dive, dive, dive solo. Scuba is an adult sport, they will get over my bad example or perhaps aspire to it. Usually the tattered wetsuit, double hsoe regulator, no BC or octopus and the 14 inch long blade of my SeaHawk or that I have two of them upsets their world so severely they faint and then run for help, usually by then I have completed my dive.

Rugged individualism, go solo:

N

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Nemrod, the diver in the advert is wearing his snorkel on the wrong side. Rugged individual? Yes. Going to die? Absolutely.

On another note: as a noob with 50+ dives, we are ingrained during training that "diving solo is dangerous. You're going to die." And, "if you choose to dive solo, you need redundant EVEYTHING and special training". They do put the fear of God into you. And yet, I've done limited, shallow (20 feet or less), solo diving. I felt odd doing so. Sad, really.
    Last edited by Vercingetorix; 03-03-2010 at 05:31.
    rick

Megalodon
    Images
    I've been given dirty looks, I've been given the look of "You're going to die and I'm going to laugh when you do" The rest of the time sans charters, most don't give a hoot. There are some places that have rules against it such as Mermet Springs, IL and Gilboa, OH but noncontrolled areas, not really.

Now that said: to our OP, sfbluestar; I note that you're a new diver (number of dives: 0-24) I would encourage you not to make solo dives at this time. No offense intended, but even 25 dives isn't a good number to have the level of experience to more safely dive solo. The risk of having a problem that you are not proficient at handling is high. I would recommend getting a good number of dives in and taking the Solo course (SDI) It will give you the information you need to safely plan and do solo dives.
    Last edited by navyhmc; 03-03-2010 at 06:18.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    "You're going to die and I'm going to laugh when you do"
    thats messed up.
    I ONLY APPOLIGE FOR MY SPELLING!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    Nemrod, the diver in the advert is wearing his snorkel on the wrong side. Rugged individual? Yes. Going to die? Absolutely.
    LOL, actually, we were taught on the right side and I still use my snorkel on the RIGHT side which is correct. Air supply goes to the right, that is how we were taught in those times, that is an old ad copy by the way, here is another.

Nope, snorkel, when used (which is rarely), goes right, regardless of what PadI teaches. I guess I never got the memo. You guys do it wrong, not right because it goes to the right, not left.

Not everybody should solo dive, some people do not have the personality or discipline for it. Only you can decide, that is the concept of rugged individualism.

A course for solo? So, I like dive with another person to prove I can dive solo? How does that work? Nah.

Just a note, double hose regulators have the supply side on the right. It was customary, when using a snorkel therefore for it to be on the right, supply side. Since there was a hose on both sides, there was nothing ot be gained by putting it to the left. Then with single hose regs, still supply side is right, but to eliminate tangles with the hoses, the snorkel got moved in SOME ABC agencies to the left where it nicely interferes with the inflator mechanism of your BC which we used to not use anyways and I still don't most of them time, snorkel neither. If I use a snorkel, it goes to the right, sorry, sue me.

N <--active diver since 1966
    Last edited by Nemrod; 03-03-2010 at 08:36.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    LOL, actually, we were taught on the right side and I still use my snorkel on the RIGHT side which is correct. Air supply goes to the right, that is how we were taught in those times, that is an old ad copy by the way, here is another.

Nope, snorkel, when used (which is rarely), goes right, regardless of what PadI teaches. I guess I never got the memo. You guys do it wrong, not right because it goes to the right, not left.

N
    Oh no...I'm going to die? Oh wait, I don't use a snorkel...whew, that was close.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Nemrod has it right, snork on the right when you happen to want one. As for solo I personally don't care what anyone thinks when I'm heading in or out. Yes, I've had the lectures and dirty looks but ultimately I'm responsible for me and my own safety. As Navy stated, I'm not sure you have the experience yet to go it alone, get some more dives under your belt first.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information