Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of DSS - Halcyon Infinity System

Barracuda
    Images

Cost of DSS - Halcyon Infinity System

A comment was made to me today that Halcyon back plate systems are not that much more than a DSS system if you compare apples to apples. So I sat down today and figures out what a DSS compared to Halcyon Infinity would cost. DSS single tank with 30lbs wing, SS plate, harness, and tank straps was 470.00. I wanted to order the 6 lbs weight STA so the 6lbs plates for the DSS are 95.00. I like diving with STA and I know it not required on the DSS but I would still buy one, which cost 60 bucks. The Halcyon comes with weight pockets so add a set of DR pockets is 85.00. With the tank weight pockets are 20 bucks and the OMS back plate pad and Zeagle shoulder straps are 60 bucks that brings the total of the DSS system to 790.00 bucks. The real reason I looking at the Halcyon is the cinch system, which cost another 95.00 and it only fits the Halcyon plate. I probably will not use the padding but I think I have it traded for the SMB storage pocket (69.95 value). You could also make a case about not needing the weight pockets – I don’t use them locally but when I travel to ocean I do. With DSS you still have shipping.
    I called an authorized dealer and they give me the 6lbs weight for the STA and the trim pockets free plus they paid shipping so the Haylcon came out to even 820.00. Apple to apples they are close, just have to justify the extras.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 03-02-2010 at 20:36.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda Founding Member
    Weight pockets & padding!!! Were you trying to build a pimp mobile or a BP and wing?

Barracuda
    Images
    Wow, I just conviced myself that I need this Halcyon Infinity system so I just place the order 820 total shipped to my door. Only money and you cant take it with ya When it arrives I will have some pieces for sale but I will be keeping my Mach V wing, probably the Halcyon will be a backup wing.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    Weight pockets & padding!!! Were you trying to build a pimp mobile or a BP and wing?
    Padding is probably going to trade for the Halcyon SMB/Lift bag storage pocket. I use the weight pockets down the Cayman and Coz this year and like them over the weight belt since it was only 8lbs. Using a drysuit with single steel tank I need 6lbs of weight on a belt - heck I just may use the pockets instead. It's what works best for me is the way I go - not worried about what others think. I'm not DIR more like WWFM (What Works For Me).
    Last edited by CWSWine; 03-02-2010 at 21:38.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda
    Images
    Curious. What about the "cinch" system has convinced you that you need it?
    - Fisheater

Grouper
    Where did you order from?

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheater View Post
    As I get older and little arthitize in the wrist and shoulder it comes to range of movement issues. I leave the harness a little looser than I should be to allow an easier don and doff. Hopefully the chinch system will allow me to tighten up the harness properly but still being able to don and doff the rig easily. Im probably in the middle of the Halcyon target market. Probably not a system for everyone but better than adding a quick release buckle to one of the shoulder straps. I will say the quick release buckle would be cheaper. I will let you know what I think of the system when it get here.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    LOL

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    As I get older and little arthitize in the wrist and shoulder it comes to range of movement issues. I leave the harness a little looser than I should be to allow an easier don and doff. Hopefully the chinch system will allow me to tighten up the harness properly but still being able to don and doff the rig easily. Im probably in the middle of the Halcyon target market. Probably not a system for everyone but better than adding a quick release buckle to one of the shoulder straps. I will say the quick release buckle would be cheaper. I will let you know what I think of the system when it get here.
    I've seen this thing in action and it's extremely easy to get in and out of. and it's still a one piece harness so that's nice

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I've seen this thing in action and it's extremely easy to get in and out of. and it's still a one piece harness so that's nice
    Agreed. I don't see myself getting/needing one unless I get injured in some way (or many years pass), but I plan to get one for my wife, for whom the benefits will greatly increase her diving enjoyment. Well worth $100 for her, not worth $100 for me. So it really depends on the individual. I wouldn't recommend it to new young divers just trying things out, because they'll never learn to deal with a bp/w properly without the "crutch" but for those who truly need it, it's a great system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information