Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you put in a lot of thought before choosing where to get certified?

Grouper Founding Member

Did you put in a lot of thought before choosing where to get certified?

Most people tell you it's the instructor that makes the biggest difference in your certification experience. But how did you go about finding the right instructor? Did you hang around a couple of your LDS getting to know them before making a choice? Do you now go somewhere else or are you loyal because of your original class?
    Head for the kelp!

simple for me, i looked in the phone book and picked the nearest dive shop by the water, had one closer but far away from water. as soon as i walk in the door, the women behind the counter was like, don';t you know how to open the door! ( the door was stuck and took me 2 minutes to get it opened) after some brief chatting i hit it off and watching how she handled the divers and how the divers who came in had some respect for her, i figure this was it. didn;t care if it was naui or padi or what ever. she knew her **** and had a very twisted sense of humor good for me!!!
    NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE
    A GOOD PLACE TO GO http://www.calypsodiversinc.com/

Grouper
    Images
    I've got to say, the instructor made the difference on me even choosing to scuba dive! I had absolutely NO interest in scuba when i watched bubbles at my wife's OW class, but seeing the attention and detail by the training staff (avg. 1 instructor to 2 students) along with the emphasis on safety and I was impressed! this was a BIG factor in my decision to tackle my fears and pursue certification... I was comfortable in the discover scuba class, knowing I wasn't just a paycheck for these instructors..... I don't think i'd do it with any other school!....
    i will play for gumbo.

Grouper
    For mt OW I went to a few different shops and talked and talked to the instructors. I picked the one that I felt was the best fit for me. He took his time and answered all of my questions (and I had alot) and was willing to compare the cost of his course ($350.00 I think(been 11 years))to some of the others that I had found, that was alot cheaper ($99.00). Then he explained what I needed to ask the other shops to be able to really compare the price. The $99.00 course only covered the cost of the instructor.

When it came time for my AOW I was living in another state so I didn't go back to him. I was diving often and went to a few different shops on a regular basis so I had a grasp of which instructor I liked best where I was living at the time.

TadPole
    No, I really didn't. It was a long time ago and there weren't any choices. It all turned out all right. People really worry too much. Just get out and dive!
    "The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea."
    - Isak Dinesen

Shark Founding Member
    No I did not interview anyone either. I am one of those people that got certified on vacation at a resort in Jamaica. I know a lot of people give those classes a hard time because they basically hand you a c-card. Mine was pretty good. It was just me in the class and I think that I came out of it with a pretty good handle on things. As good as a OW student can. Then I came home and got hooked on Scubaboard and started learning a lot more from that. I just figured it was somethign that I always wanted to do so I did it... Had a great time and am still having a good time...

Phil

Grouper
    not really any, i just went to the one LDS closer to me.

Grouper Founding Member
    I went with ScubaToys based upoon the fact that one of the morning talk-show guys on the Sports Radio station had learned to dive with them -- not very in depth analysis on my part.

I didn't meet the instructor until the classroom session. In my case I got very luck and my instructor was great.
    Tom

Grouper
    I have been studying with independent instructors and haven't been sorry. I try to help them referals when I can.

Grouper Founding Member
    I went back and forth over the phone and via email with four different dive shops/instructors before I made my decision. For me, the "all in one weekend" courses weren't the right fit, but neither was taking months to certify. I looked for a low student to instructor ratio, a strong emphasis on quality instruction, and an instructor/group of instructors I would have a good repoire with. Initially, I just wanted to get certified, but the more research I did on it, the more I wanted to become a good diver, and that is still my top priority.
    If you can dream it, you can do it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information