Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for boat dive bag?

Grouper
    What do u want to keep in the bag? Everything so it doesn't get lost or wat?!
    Diving Rocks! along with tugboating

Megalodon
    Images
    I've posted it before, but I recently got the Dive-Caddy and found it worked well. I had everything I needed for the dive in the main bag and turtle pouch. It worked well as it was a back pack vs. roller so it was easy to get on and offthe boat with it.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    What i've found to work well for me is a large wheeled mesh duffle bag (I'm using one by XS-scuba) for most my gear, the drysuit is getting it's own small bag (insulation goes on top in the mesh bag), and then a separate medium sized dry bag that I take out of the mesh bag to store my clothes and stuff in when I change. I have another bag with weights and save-a-dive stuff that goes inside the mesh bag that I pull out and leave up top when on a boat (then the big mesh one gets stowed). Packs up the opposite, is easy to carry and you don't end up with a bunch of bags to juggle.

Grouper
    In my diving career I have used everything from paper bags, the box the stuff came in, a pillow case, various mesh bags, plastic containers, nothing as in I wore it, and now back to a mesh bag slash backpack thing that almost holds my gear for a boat dive or beach dive.

The large roll around things I hate on a boat and I especially hate it when some gear hog brings one of those on the boat and crowds my space, this sometimes results in my cutting their hoses. They are great on an airplane but once arrival they are too large for diving from IMO especially if you will be parking it on me.

N

Megalodon
    Images
    I have two different systems for packing and transporting gear: One is for local/heavy packing where I'm transporting my gear to the site in my truck. In this case, I have a wheeled storage container that not only carries my primary gear but a good amount of back up stuff and just in case I change the dive profile and need it stuff.

The other is for travel and trips where I'm going to be flying to the sight and need to go simplistic. I don't take a lot of extra gear but do take what I need to do all the dives planned. I used to have a zippered duffle that I got back in '83 that is still good. Not much for airline travel nowadays though. When I did my last trip, I used the Dive Caddy and found it worked well. I was able to get everything I needed into it and actually made it a carry on. It's become my travel bag for the foreseeable future.

To be honest, I've not tried the caddy on a boat and the duffle hasn't been used for a long time, but I can definitely see N's point on what to take gear onto a boat with. At least the caddy can easily be tucked away somewhere.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlinghe92 View Post
    does anyone use those rolling suit case type bags on boats or in cars or something???

I have seen those roller bags that look like big suitcases. they are clumsy on the boat and some boats don't have a wide enough space to roll them so they are handed over head and they end up getting wet anyway inside and out. the mesh backpack bags are tidy and fold up and out of the way. we also take a separate dry sack on board.
    God is good, no matter what!!

Grouper
    A plastic basket, I expect everything will get wet, after all I'm diving and on a boat .

Grouper
    Images
    Another vote for a separate mesh 'wet' and dry bag. I have to agree with captain, I haven't seen too much stuff that doesn't get wet. But trying to manage dry stuff in a bag with wet stuff, wet always wins.

TadPole
    I admit to using a trash bag to keep stuff dry. I use an orange bag to keep it from being mistaken and just in case (I watch too much Survivorman and Man vs Wild.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information