Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for boat dive bag?

TadPole

Suggestions for boat dive bag?

Was prep'ing for a boat dive tomorrow and realized this is a great excuse to buy a new bag My current boat dive bag is an older duffel that has a expandable wet pocket accessible through the side that then uses up space in the main compartment. At each end are two semi-dry bags.

What I'm looking for is somethign that is easy to carry, has wet & dry sections, and can carry the following:

main wet/dry compartment:
    Slingshot fins
    mask & snorkel
    regulator setup
    drysuit hood
    drysuit gloves

dry compartment(s):
    drysuit undergarment in XL
    drysuit fleece booties
    street clothes (while diving)

would love a specific dry pocket for keys/phone/wallet/etc

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions

Got one of these for my wife, great bag with a big dry pocket and a huge mesh bag storage capacity.

Stahlsac Bonaire Mesh Backpack reviews and discounts, Stahlsac

Guppy
    I use one of these.
    Welcome to AKONA Adventure Gear!
    Large capacity, easy access, good size dry compartment.

TadPole
    I have this bag but since I haven't taken it on a boat yet, I'm reluctant to recommend it. It holds all my gear, but will having a picture of those two guys on my gear bag freak out my dive buddy?
    Quote Originally Posted by tc_rain View Post

Grouper
    Any of the mesh bags already mentioned will work for hauling wet gear. My experience with these types of bags is that, over time, the dry pocket breaks down a little and becomes less "waterproof"...especially if the pocket is sitting in a puddle of water on the boatdeck. An inexpensive solution is to put your dry gear in a garbage bag. Just make sure that someone doesn't throw your bag away.

Armor makes a nice-looking mesh bag that has backpack straps, a large U-shaped zipper, and a removable transparent dry bag. It's called the #91 Amphibian Wet/Dry Mesh Bag and Backpack. The Armor website has a .wmv video clip in which an employee points out all of the features of the bag. Check it out.

I own a couple of the Stahlsac mesh boat bags. They are very durable, but the dry compartment tends not to stay very dry.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbletrubble View Post
    Any of the mesh bags already mentioned will work for hauling wet gear. My experience with these types of bags is that, over time, the dry pocket breaks down a little and becomes less "waterproof"...especially if the pocket is sitting in a puddle of water on the boatdeck. An inexpensive solution is to put your dry gear in a garbage bag. Just make sure that someone doesn't throw your bag away.

Armor makes a nice-looking mesh bag that has backpack straps, a large U-shaped zipper, and a removable transparent dry bag. It's called the #91 Amphibian Wet/Dry Mesh Bag and Backpack. The Armor website has a .wmv video clip in which an employee points out all of the features of the bag. Check it out.

I own a couple of the Stahlsac mesh boat bags. They are very durable, but the dry compartment tends not to stay very dry.
    Those Armor bags looks very similar to the ScubaToys bag linked earlier - ScubaToys Mesh Back Pack Bag reviews and discounts, ScubaToys

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbletrubble View Post
    My experience with these types of bags is that, over time, the dry pocket breaks down a little and becomes less "waterproof"...especially if the pocket is sitting in a puddle of water on the boatdeck. An inexpensive solution is to put your dry gear in a garbage bag. Just make sure that someone doesn't throw your bag away.
    I find that the amount and type of "stuff" that I need to keep dry may vary greatly from one trip to the next. Given that, my wife and I use our mesh bags for the wet gear and carry a separate small dry bag for the stuff we want to keep dry. They're inexpensive, your dry stuff stays dry, and no worry about the breakdown issues that can occur with a dry pocket.

Works for us...

Grouper
    does anyone use those rolling suit case type bags on boats or in cars or something???
    Diving Rocks! along with tugboating

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlinghe92 View Post
    does anyone use those rolling suit case type bags on boats or in cars or something???
    I have one of the large AKONA roller bags that I use to transport my gear on dive trips. The first trip I went on with it, I took it on the boat. I found that it was just too big and cumbersome to roll around on the deck and try to stash under a bench seat. Plus, it didn't seem like a good idea to keep exposing the rollers and their hardware to the salt water on a boat deck. After that trip, I bought the AKONA mesh bag I linked to in my earlier post for use on the boat. Now, I use the roller bag for getting to my destination and then transfer the gear I need for the boat to the mesh bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information