Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressor Owners ... PLEASE!

Barracuda
    I think you'll see vairation in costs per quart based on your location. Stuff simply costs more in some places.

Also - smaller compressors take less oil than larger compressors. What may be a full change for a 3.5cfm model may be less than 1/2 what is required for a 12 or 15cfm model.

I do think everyone agrees, good timely preventive maintenance can do wonders for repair costs and lifespan for mechanical systems.

The little Coltri compressors take 1/2 liter (11 ounces) of oil. Even the most expensive way of purchasing is by the single 1/2 liter bottle at $12.95. Of course, buying by the gallon takes the price drastically down. Oh, and our 7-10 CFM machines take 1.6 quarts of oil.

There was a misprint in the owners' manual of the little guys a few years back that said to change the oil at 250 hours. It was supposed to read 25 hours!

And if you are having to change oil every three to four weeks, that is a pretty good indication that you may need a larger compressor.

And as for improving the filter capacity of the little guys, you can add a 13,000 cubic foot tower for about $700. That's WAY better than the 3,000 cubic feet that the original ones are rated for.
    Ray Contreras
    www.CompressorStuff.com

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcontrera View Post
    New compressors start at around three thousand and go up from there. The most popular compressors that you can toss in the trunk of your car are under $3400. The most popular home compressor with automatic drains, auto shutdown is around $8000.

If it is a deal you are looking for, then there are LOTS of super deals on used compressors out there. But be careful because there are a lot of stinkers out there as well.
    What would one expect to pay for a used, 3 cu ft. compressor?

Grouper
    Shelden Sporting Goods Inc. - High Pressure Air Compressors

These are some converted Kidde military surplus compressors.
    They also have an adapter to convert a cartridge filter to repackable which is a money saver.

Grouper
    And as for improving the filter capacity of the little guys, you can add a 13,000 cubic foot tower for about $700. That's WAY better than the 3,000 cubic feet that the original ones are rated for.

I added a tower after my compressor for added filter capacity. I change the small filter every 20 hours in the early spring and late fall and every 15 hours in the summer. The humidity just eats up the first filter.
    I filled my banks 2 weeks ago when the humidity was only 24 %. Now the humidity at my office is up to 40 %.

Jim Breslin

Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    What would one expect to pay for a used, 3 cu ft. compressor?
    Man ... that's tough one! I have seen them on Ebay for almost nothing and have also seen them go for almost new price! The little guys last a long long time when take care of so it is rare to find a good one cheap. On the other hand, it is also rare to find a cheap one that is good as there is usually a pretty good reason the owner is dumping it!

Quote Originally Posted by jbres1 View Post
    I added a tower after my compressor for added filter capacity. I change the small filter every 20 hours in the early spring and late fall and every 15 hours in the summer. The humidity just eats up the first filter. I filled my banks 2 weeks ago when the humidity was only 24 %. Now the humidity at my office is up to 40 %.
    Make sure that there is a priority (pressure maintaining) valve after the tower. That will increase the efficiency of the filter system. Also, if you have auto drains, adjust them to blow down more often for shorter periods of time and that may also lengthen the life of your media.
    Ray Contreras
    www.CompressorStuff.com

Shark
    The little Coltri compressors take 1/2 liter (11 ounces) of oil. Even the most expensive way of purchasing is by the single 1/2 liter bottle at $12.95. Of course, buying by the gallon takes the price drastically down. Oh, and our 7-10 CFM machines take 1.6 quarts of oil.

There was a misprint in the owners' manual of the little guys a few years back that said to change the oil at 250 hours. It was supposed to read 25 hours!

And if you are having to change oil every three to four weeks, that is a pretty good indication that you may need a larger compressor.

Damn man, our compressor takes 3.5 GALLONS of oil... it's a 16 cfm compressor... We don't have to change the oil every 3-4 weeks, unless we followed your 80 hour schedule... according to the maintenance manual on ours, 500 hours is its recommended change period, and we change the oil every three months or 300 hours, whichever comes first...

did you know that compressors are kinda like car engines, and changing the oil too often is actually just as bad or worse than not changing it often enough???
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Quote Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
    Damn man, our compressor takes 3.5 GALLONS of oil... it's a 16 cfm compressor... We don't have to change the oil every 3-4 weeks, unless we followed your 80 hour schedule... according to the maintenance manual on ours, 500 hours is its recommended change period, and we change the oil every three months or 300 hours, whichever comes first...

did you know that compressors are kinda like car engines, and changing the oil too often is actually just as bad or worse than not changing it often enough???
    3.5 GALLONS!! Yeah ... I would say that your 300 hours is right!

This was intended to be aimed at the "home" compressor user. The 80 hours I mentioned is for our 9 CFM compressors. The same compressor slowed down and with different heads is used for our 7 CFM model and 100 hours is good there since it runs cooler. The smaller or faster the compressor, the sooner you change oil.

As for being bad to change too often, I don't know where you heard that. Oil is to clean, cool and lubricate and the cleaner the oil, the better it works. At least that is what has been beat into my head since I started messing with these things in the 70s. Of course, they could all have been wrong!
    Ray Contreras
    www.CompressorStuff.com

Images
    ok you have my attention

"And as for improving the filter capacity of the little guys, you can add a 13,000 cubic foot tower for about $700. That's WAY better than the 3,000 cubic feet that the original ones are rated for."

this sounds like a great inprovement in filtration like over 4 times the filter capacity .., i gues longer filter intervals and cleaner air ???

so would i place this filter before / after or instead of my existing filter ??

im really keen to add this filter and do it properly , in a nice tidy fashion.

im also just in the process of mounting my compressor on a trolley with wheels so i can move it outside of my dive shed , to get the coolest possible air , i already have a nicely set up air intake snorkel as well.

Regards
    Matty

Not knowing which compressor you have, I will comment as if you have the little Coltri.

Most people add the filter stack after the installed one and turn that installed stack into another mechanical separator. If you use the installed tower as well as the additional stack, then you still have to change the small filter as it will get saturated and most likely turn to mud before the added filter is used up.
    Ray Contreras
    www.CompressorStuff.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information