Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shore diving.

TadPole
    Between having to lug the gear and tank through the sand and into the water and having to battle the current, I only go shore diving if I really want to go diving and can't go on a boat. This being said, I haven't gone in a few years. I'm fairly young and in shape as well... it is just a hassle. I you're not in good shape, I would probably say to skip the shore dives unless you have someone helping you and staying onshore.

However, there are some great areas to do shore dives in the southeast coast of FL.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Whether local shore diving is worth doing tends to be pretty location-specific. Talk to the locals... and while it's good to heed an instructor's advice, one that has already admitted he just doesn't like shore diving is not going to give you an unbiased response.

Check with others in the shop and find out if it's just a local area thing: Perhaps it's true that there's no good shore diving nearby, but that doesn't mean that shore diving everywhere is a bad idea. It's usually a big more work than boat diving, but the cost is great! Just make sure you know what you're getting into, because you don't have a whole boat crew watching your back. It's all on you and your buddy to find a good spot, successfully execute the dive, and come back unscathed.

Shark
    He said after I do not like it comment that on a calm day it should be ok. I figured out a plan and let me know if I am going about it wrong.
    1st take everything to the shore right around where the surf stops coming up shore or right to the water line depending on wave height. 2nd I put my tank on prep my gear and lift it up and put it on. Doing this with dads help. Then he hands me my huge amount of weight and I put it in my pockets. Then he hands me his rig tank and all minus weight. He then puts his weight in it with my still holding it by the tank. Then he slides into it with me holding the tank to help with the weight. We then walk into the water and off we go.
    OR
    We prep everything carry it into the water and put our fins on then put our fully setup on in the water like we learned on the pool session
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Whether local shore diving is worth doing tends to be pretty location-specific. Talk to the locals... and while it's good to heed an instructor's advice, one that has already admitted he just doesn't like shore diving is not going to give you an unbiased response.

Check with others in the shop and find out if it's just a local area thing: Perhaps it's true that there's no good shore diving nearby, but that doesn't mean that shore diving everywhere is a bad idea. It's usually a big more work than boat diving, but the cost is great! Just make sure you know what you're getting into, because you don't have a whole boat crew watching your back. It's all on you and your buddy to find a good spot, successfully execute the dive, and come back unscathed.

Guppy
    The diving itself at Datura is pretty easy. You have to swim out about 150' on the surface to get to the diving itself. Most folks put their gear on at the seawall, but I see no reason you could not do it at the waters edge. Just keep in mind that you have to lug all that gear from your transportation across the sand to the water and then walk a distance in the water until you get to a spot you can swim. Then you have to do your dive itself and then reverse the whole process when you are finished. It can be a bit demanding physically if your not in decent shape.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    He said after I do not like it comment that on a calm day it should be ok. I figured out a plan and let me know if I am going about it wrong.
    1st take everything to the shore right around where the surf stops coming up shore or right to the water line depending on wave height. 2nd I put my tank on prep my gear and lift it up and put it on. Doing this with dads help. Then he hands me my huge amount of weight and I put it in my pockets. Then he hands me his rig tank and all minus weight. He then puts his weight in it with my still holding it by the tank. Then he slides into it with me holding the tank to help with the weight. We then walk into the water and off we go.
    OR
    We prep everything carry it into the water and put our fins on then put our fully setup on in the water like we learned on the pool session

If there's any surf worth speaking of you're not going to want to haul your whole rig through the active surf zone and then don it while trying to float in choppy water. Wear it in.

If it's like a lake, do it whatever way is easier.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Easiest (and arguably one of the best ) shore dive in So Fla.

The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge - ScubaBoard
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Shark
    I was not thinking through the surf more just till it got deep enough to put it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    OR

If there's any surf worth speaking of you're not going to want to haul your whole rig through the active surf zone and then don it while trying to float in choppy water. Wear it in.

If it's like a lake, do it whatever way is easier.

Shark
    make sure your navigational skills are good so you don't end up alot further down/up the shore from where you started-and don't forget to tell someone you are going-seems like more divers get "lost" doing shore dives rather than boat dives

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by scubagirlj View Post
    make sure your navigational skills are good so you don't end up alot further down/up the shore from where you started-and don't forget to tell someone you are going-seems like more divers get "lost" doing shore dives rather than boat dives
    This is true! Although not to me, this happened to a friend diving near Ft. Lauderdale. Guess the current made him go farther north than he expected. He had a long surface swim back!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    Easiest (and arguably one of the best ) shore dive in So Fla.

The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge - ScubaBoard

I've heard the boat traffic can make this dive a bit dangerous. I have wanted to go here, but haven't yet. Just how dangerous is it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information