Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shore diving.

Shark

Shore diving.

I planned a shore dive down here off dantura av mainly because it is cheaper then the boats and there is a good trail there from what I have read. Our instructor said it would be a bad idea. Mainly because of my weight and how much lead I have to use and getting into and out of the water. Though on our second dive he said it would be ok if it was a good day with a calm sea.

What are your thoughts and opinion on it?

Shark
    Don't have enough experience to answer the shore dive question. But I have enough to say, good that you asked your instructor. Maybe for a little extra he would go along? I would say take his advice over internet advice.

1. Don't ask anyone to hold your beer.

2. Don't say 'Hey Ya'll, watch this..."

Stick with it bigman, sounds like you're doing well!

It's only impossible.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Shore diving has a few inherent risks. The biggest two being rough surf and current. Take the advice of your insturctor and let him be the final word. He is correct, if the seas are too rough it might be wise to scratch the dive. As inventor said itd be good if you could get him, or another local, to go along. Its always best to make the first dive in a new place with someone that knows the area.

Shark
    He did tell me he hates shore dives which might be part of it. He said for 75 bucks he would go with us. That covers the boat and air fees. I am going to look up my old post looking for a local and get with one of them and see if they want to do one. The weather is calling for calm seas and little wind sun and monday.

Barracuda Founding Member
    He said for 75 bucks he would go with us. That covers the boat and air fees.
    Boat for a shore dive?

I did 3 shore dives in Destin FL at the jetties. It was a good dive but not for the unfit. We walked probably 2-300 yds with gear then swam out about that far and dove. Then reversed it on the way back.
    Last edited by Noob; 03-11-2010 at 10:05.

Shark
    The 75 was for a boat dive
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
    He said for 75 bucks he would go with us. That covers the boat and air fees.
    Boat for a shore dive?

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
    Shore diving has a few inherent risks. The biggest two being rough surf and current. Take the advice of your insturctor and let him be the final word. He is correct, if the seas are too rough it might be wise to scratch the dive. As inventor said itd be good if you could get him, or another local, to go along. Its always best to make the first dive in a new place with someone that knows the area.
    +1 on FishFood's recommendations. They are right on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    He did tell me he hates shore dives which might be part of it.
    This makes me think that the instructor isn't very comfortable doing shore dives. Perhaps he meant that he doesn't like to shore dive in that particular area of Florida. Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    He said for 75 bucks he would go with us. That covers the boat and air fees. I am going to look up my old post looking for a local and get with one of them and see if they want to do one. The weather is calling for calm seas and little wind sun and monday.
    Paying your instructor to accompany you for another dive is an option. I'm glad that he offered to do it so long as you cover his costs. That's reasonable IMO. Diving with a local or hiring a DM locally are also great options.

You really should be able to conduct your own dives after becoming OW certified. As long as your dad is up for it, I'd look into going out with the same dive op that you used for your certification dives. The boat and crew would probably be familiar then. I would attempt this only if water conditions are as good or better than what they were for your certification dives. Always ask what dive sites the boat will be going to before you book the dive. Let the dive op know that you are a freshly certified diver (if they don't know already).

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    I did 3 shore dives in Destin FL at the jetties. It was a good dive but not for the unfit. We walked probably 2-300 yds with gear then swam out about that far and dove. Then reversed it on the way back.

Yeah, I've done that walk a number of times, and it's a pain to time the slack high tide. But re the OP- Not sure what your instructor meant by weights being a concern. You wear what you wear whether boat or shore diving, no? Maybe with a lot of weight you'd fall on the rocks?

Grouper
    $75 is about right for a boat dive around here. Most boats charge around $50-55 plus $10 each for tanks.

Have you thought about Lauderdale-by-the-Sea? There is nice easy access just south of pier at Commercial Blvd.

But +1 on listening to your instructor. When the seas are rough viz drops in the shallow water near shore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information