Thread: Princeton Tec Miniwave LED with NiMH rechargeables

TadPole

Princeton Tec Miniwave LED with NiMH rechargeables

Hi. I am planing to buy a new Princeton Tec Miniwave LED lamp (337 lumen). Has anyone tried to put 4 AA rechargeable NiMH batteries (2000 mAh) with AA to C adapters in it. I wonder whether it works and for how long.

Guppy
    You should get about 1/2 the run time of C depending on which C's you use.
    Last edited by Airborne!; 03-12-2010 at 07:37.

TadPole
    I need about 1 to 2 hours of usable light (two dives). I think that 4 AA rechargeable batteries (for example Eneloop - 2000 mAh each) are enough but I have not still tried this. C-size rechargeable batteries and chargers are more expensive, but have higher capacity (about 3000 - 4400 mAh).

Guppy
    Sounds like you are talking about low discharge batteries. C Alkaline is closer to 8000 and C NiMH are in the 5000 range. If your talking about a dedicated trip somewhere away from home where you will dive a couple hours of recreational night diving then I would just go the C Alkaline way and be done with it.
    Adapters are ok, but sometimes the tolerances on battery adapters can be a pain. The specs for battery sizes have wiggle room and getting four adapters into a device can be a pain depending on the tolerances of the light itself.
    This is all assuming you really don't want to bit the bullet and go C NiHM like I eventually did with my rechargeables.

TadPole
    How does Miniwave LED work with C-size NiMH rechargeable batteries? Are you satisfied? Is the light powerfull just like when you put the alkalines in it?

Guppy
    The C NiMH's will give you the same brightness as the C Alkaline batteries. Its the Mah you need to watch. In General a 8000Mah Alkaline has more run time than say a top 6000Mah C NiMH, but in an LED light this should not be an issue since they draw so low. What you will notice, in general, is at the end of the draw the Alkalines will slowly begin to get dimmer and dimmer while the NiMH's will retain the overall brightness longer, but fail more suddenly.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I have a PT Miniwave LED and have used both - C's and AA's in the adapters. Either way works fine. I started using AA's because I wanted to use rechargeables and keep things standard. I've done two dives on one charge but typically throw the batts on the charger after every dive.
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

I do the AA rechargeables in the C adapters in a miniwave too, but not sure of how long they'll last because I normally just recharge them between night dives. Since we travel with a charger and plenty of AA rechargeables anyway, it saves me some weight and a few bucks.

TadPole
    How many mAh do you use? How does voltage affect LEDs? Rechargeable batteries are 1.2V, and alkaline are 1.5V.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by erwin View Post
    How many mAh do you use? How does voltage affect LEDs? Rechargeable batteries are 1.2V, and alkaline are 1.5V.
    On my light, it doesn't seem like the rechargeables are quite as bright as the alkaline...

I have all the chargers and C cell batteries and such, and I end up using alkaline batteries... I don't have to worry about them being discharged by the time I use them like I do the rechargeables...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Thread Information