Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gran Cayman in less than a month - who to dive with?

Grouper

Gran Cayman in less than a month - who to dive with?

Going with some friends for a week in the Caymans, staying in a condo on SMB, will have rental car. Two of the five of us are divers. Going to do 3 days of 2 tanks dives on the west side and 1 day of 4 tank dives w/ Ocean Frontiers on the east side. Will also want to get to Stingray City with the whole group for a snorkel.

I was leaning toward Dive Tech for our West side dives but have read a couple things lately about their service which may have me changing my mind. I've read that Neptune is very good as well.

Things I'm most interested in are - quality bottom time, don't call the dive after 30mins for example, let me dive my own profile & 80cf tanks: DMs who aren't nose to tail trail guides but will point stuff out and give a good briefing, get us back to the boat: small groups: personal service: does the North side conditions permitting: doesn't cater to the cruisers: offers a Sting Ray City trip for the five of us: offers tanks/weights for on our own shore diving.

Any input? Thanks!

Barracuda
    I can only speak to Dive Tech, and that was several years ago, but the rocked.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Grouper
    Everyone knows I am going to recommend Don Fosters- I dive with them every year. The staff is casual- they will help with gear if you want them to, and won't if you don't want them to. They will allow you to dive your own profile with a computer. We do three 2 tank dives- prepaid is a discount, and you get free shore diving with a multiday package. If all your friends don't dive they can have the car, and Don Foster's will come pick you up. Plus- least expensive I've found on the island, consistently. have fun! They do stingray city trips too.

Grouper
    Oh- and if you are a decent diver, and dive with the same divemasters more than once, they will allow you to go off a bit on your own. Or stick with them, if you prefer, to have a little guided dive.

Grouper
    I've done 6 boat dive with Divetech, all technical. Also done lots of shore diving from their sites. Can not speak for recreational boat dives.
    My opinion is Divetech are simply awesome.

Would also suggest doing some shore dives with Sundivers (By the Turtle Farm, Divetech used to be there) great dive site,easy access. The non divers can enjoy drinks with umbrellas while you do your thing..............

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by mselizann View Post
    Everyone knows I am going to recommend Don Fosters- I dive with them every year. The staff is casual- they will help with gear if you want them to, and won't if you don't want them to. They will allow you to dive your own profile with a computer. We do three 2 tank dives- prepaid is a discount, and you get free shore diving with a multiday package. If all your friends don't dive they can have the car, and Don Foster's will come pick you up. Plus- least expensive I've found on the island, consistently. have fun! They do stingray city trips too.
    Looked up Don Foster's, looks great with one exception - they have the cruise ship contracts and their boats hold 24 divers. I've seen the bigger boats in action full of resort divers and want NO part of that. I fear that here it would be far too similar to be enjoyable.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Byte Me View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mselizann View Post
    Looked up Don Foster's, looks great with one exception - they have the cruise ship contracts and their boats hold 24 divers. I've seen the bigger boats in action full of resort divers and want NO part of that. I fear that here it would be far too similar to be enjoyable.
    oh no- they put the cruise shippers on dedicated boats- they do not mix them in with other customers

Grouper
    I think we've had as many 12-14 divers on a boat, and as few as the 2 of us! That was a good day- just the two of us, and 4 DM's on their day off

Grouper
    We ended up booking 3 2 tank dives with Neptune's. Will also do an AM/PM 4 tank dive with Ocean Frontiers on the East side. We're staying pretty close to Don Foster's so hopefully we can check it out for some shore diving!

Grouper
    Just got back. What a great trip! The dives with Neptune's were very nice and we enjoyed them a lot. We would, however, be willing to give Don Foster's or Dive Tech a shot next time. Most probably Dive Tech simply because Ocean Frontier's recommended them.

Let me just say this - OCEAN FRONTIERS ROCKED! What a great experience with them!! The boats, the crew, the staff, the customer service, the safety, the briefings, everything about them was top notch. Not to mention the east side reefs are in noticeably better shape than the West side and the best I've seen in the Caribbean diving I've done. Didn't see any Rays over there but did see two Sharks. I'll post a full trip report as soon as I get a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information