Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canon s90 question

Funeral Jorunna

canon s90 question

In another thread I mentioned I was interested in upgrading to a Canon S90 to which I got the following reply.

Quote Originally Posted by azdiver
    As for the S90 canon.... I would put that on hold. A friend of mine who has a G10 bought one of those as well for a trip to the Barrier Reef only to have it lens issue on his 3rd dive. Seems that the issue he had with it is a known one with canon and they are not honoring the warranties.
    Any way I had not heard of any lens issue with the S90 and was wondering if any one else knows of this as I like to be an informed consumer. Most of what I've heard about the S90 seems very good so if there are any problems with lenses or warranties or any other problem with regards to this camera please let it be known. I know a few of you own this camera so any feed back is welcome.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Grouper
    The lens issue is a well known common Canon P&S fault that has been around forever and is not exclusive to the S90 or G11.

It was further found that in the particular instance you mention that the issue was being cause by an ill fitting housing rubbing the lens. There was nothing wrong with the camera as I understand.

N

Shark
    Images
    This come as news to me and I have been sing the A630 and now SX20i for the past 6 or so years with out issue.....
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Barracuda Founding Member
    I have a 720is that I TOTALLY love. WAY better photos than my sea life ever enen thought of producing.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileybri View Post
    This come as news to me and I have been sing the A630 and now SX20i for the past 6 or so years with out issue.....
    Dude, nobody says everybody has the issue or even most, google it if you desire. It is a common problem with all Canon P&S cameras along with lens decentering and several other as well. Not all cameras have the issues, in fact, the vast majority do not but just as this thread is growing over mistaken info, so goes the entire internet, garbage in and garbage out.

Do It Yourself Digital Camera Repair: Fixing a Lens Error on a Digital Camera

Canon E18 Error (Lens problem) - What is it and how to repair it

Canon S90 vs Ricoh GR Digital III: Lens Performance

My S90 works fine, so do my A570 (I have three of them) but my brother's A740 was returned for "lens error" and it was a result of his bumping it one time to many I think, yes, they charged him to repair it.

N

Guppy
    I have used my S90 diving in the Flower Gardens last month and had zero problems with any aspect of operation. Good pictures and easy to use with the Ike housing and Inon strobe.

Bill

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I wouldn't worry about it.

Grouper
    Neither would I. N

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I have used my S90 diving in the Flower Gardens last month and had zero problems with any aspect of operation. Good pictures and easy to use with the Ike housing and Inon strobe.

Bill
    Bill,

I would love to see some of the photos you got. I would really love to make a FG trip this year.

Make sure you give me a shout to go out to CSSP this year....
    DevilDiver

Guppy
    I have had the S90 for a while with no issues. Nice little camera overall and I would not worry about the supposed known issue in the least. If its a case of materials and workmanship then Canon will honor the warranty. If its a case of dropping it on the barrel or getting sand or dirt into the mechanisms then most likely they will not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information