Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Safety Valves

Images
    Not sure I get your comment about a well meaning DM turning your valve off. I sure don't want someone else, even a DM for that matter, playing around with my gear. Especially if I have already gone through my pre-dive checks.

Why would a DM purposefully turn off someones valve? That's an awful risky thing to do, no matter who the person is or the reason behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    It might be nice to have on my kids tanks. On my tank I'm not sure. I always take a few deep breaths from my reg watching my pressure guage right before I splash and I wouldn't be able to see the red or green if the tank was on my back anyway. If my tank is off, it's going to be because a well meaning DM turned it off. That's why the LAST thing I do is watch the guage and breathe deep.
    "It is better to be hurt on the surface, than dead on the bottom."

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbope View Post
    Not sure I get your comment about a well meaning DM turning your valve off. I sure don't want someone else, even a DM for that matter, playing around with my gear. Especially if I have already gone through my pre-dive checks.

Why would a DM purposefully turn off someones valve? That's an awful risky thing to do, no matter who the person is or the reason behind it.

It might be nice to have on my kids tanks. On my tank I'm not sure. I always take a few deep breaths from my reg watching my pressure guage right before I splash and I wouldn't be able to see the red or green if the tank was on my back anyway. If my tank is off, it's going to be because a well meaning DM turned it off. That's why the LAST thing I do is watch the guage and breathe deep.
    DMs in areas with lots of "vacation divers" often do a final check to make sure people's air is on, as they check you into the water. Many even do it around here (SoCal... not nearly as many vacation divers as the tropical destinations). Problem is, sometimes they get it wrong. (per the reports I've read... it's never happened to me)

Barracuda Founding Member
    CD got it right. I have dove several places where the DM checks your valve right before you giant stride. I just wait to do my final check until after that. Nobody has ever turned mine off but better safe than sorry. The "well meaning" is because IF they turned it off, I am sure it wouldn't have been intentional.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Grouper
    Another product looking to solve a non existent problem.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Agreed. I've seen them. Pretty cool. But for me there is no substitute for a pre flight, um I mean, pre dive checklist.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Barracuda
    Images
    I think that it is a great idea. It is so good that it should not be limited to only this aplication. Here are some more places where it would work.

Light Switch- Red for off / Green for on. How many times have you wondered. Is it daytime, or is the light turned on?
    Faucet - Red for off / green for on
    Car ignition - Red for off / green for on

The possibilities are endless
    * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes *

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I'm getting ready to purchase some tanks and notice they had choice of valves. What do you think of these new safety valves?

Just because the valve is open does NOT mean that there is gas in the tank...
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Quote Originally Posted by No Misses View Post
    I think that it is a great idea. It is so good that it should not be limited to only this aplication. Here are some more places where it would work.

Light Switch- Red for off / Green for on. How many times have you wondered. Is it daytime, or is the light turned on?

While I appreciate the sense of humor, I do see a genuine benefit to this for instructors etc. I wouldn't put it in the same category as tank bangers for instance...
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member

While I appreciate the sense of humor, I do see a genuine benefit to this for instructors etc. I wouldn't put it in the same category as tank bangers for instance...
    The one proviso many of us has made is this: It's not a bad thing as long as it doesn't introduce any additional failure points.

I have yet to see any information on this one way or another. If I had to make an educated guess, I suspect there is a gearing mechanism or some sort in there that could be considerably more susceptible to damage than a standard valve is (especially to impacts, like when a tank tips over and the handle hits something). If that's the case, I would MUCH rather have a standard valve instead of the added "convenience" of the visual indicator. This includes work as a DM, or standard diving, doesn't matter which. If it's possible for something to crack inside the indicator, and break pieces off later in such a way that operation of the non/off valve is impaired, that would be a terrible addition.

Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post

The one proviso many of us has made is this: It's not a bad thing as long as it doesn't introduce any additional failure points.

I have yet to see any information on this one way or another. If I had to make an educated guess, I suspect there is a gearing mechanism or some sort in there that could be considerably more susceptible to damage than a standard valve is (especially to impacts, like when a tank tips over and the handle hits something). If that's the case, I would MUCH rather have a standard valve instead of the added "convenience" of the visual indicator. This includes work as a DM, or standard diving, doesn't matter which. If it's possible for something to crack inside the indicator, and break pieces off later in such a way that operation of the non/off valve is impaired, that would be a terrible addition.
    Agreed
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information