Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Compass direction needed

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbope View Post
    What's a good place to find 3/16" bungee? Do REI or Bass Pro Shops or similar outdoor stores carry it? Mainly I'm looking for a brick & mortar store to pick some up.
    Some local dive shops carry it, but for a stupid price. I didn't find any other local sources (not that I searched particularly hard) so I just went to eBay and bought a big spool (100', maybe more?) for $10 or so. I still have lots left on that spool, which I split 50-50 with a friend.

So I'd recommend just going to eBay, spend $10 (less if you split with a friend), and consider yourself done for the next decade.

Here's one I found with a quick search of "3/16" bungee": 3/16"x100' Nylon Marine Grade Black Bungee Cord - eBay (item 220588558066 end time May-12-10 11:48:11 PDT)

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Well... If you are in Finland I would not know where to even start if you were looking for a brick and mortar to go to.

If you are cool with ordering over the internet (and do not need 100' like CD posted- good price though) Scuba Toys carries it but I do not know what they charge.

Piranha carries it as well, they have 3/16 for .31us/ft, you can get green, yellow and red also.
    Bungee Shock Cord Piranha Dive Manufacturing
    DevilDiver

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Well... If you are in Finland I would not know where to even start if you were looking for a brick and mortar to go to.

If you are cool with ordering over the internet (and do not need 100' like CD posted- good price though) Scuba Toys carries it but I do not know what they charge.

Piranha carries it as well, they have 3/16 for .31us/ft, you can get green, yellow and red also.
    Bungee Shock Cord Piranha Dive Manufacturing
    Piranha's price is among the better I've seen (I think one LDS wanted $1/ft, and another wanted $1.50!). Still, if your average necklace uses approx 3' of bungee, that's $1. Plus shipping and handling, you're looking at more like $3. And if you ever want to tie another, that's another $3. Or give one to a buddy in need. Or use it for anything else... like tie something up with it, and you only need a foot, but have to place an order to get it...

I'd rather have a spool and NEVER have to worry about it. I can give it away freely, and be generous, and never have to worry about running out. (at least, not for a very long time) I've saved the day more than once. And I've had plenty on hand to experiment with it. I've made DIY bungee retainers for various camera bits. It's just handy to have around.

Seriously, find a buddy to split the spool with, throw in $5 each, and you're both set. Don't muck around with buying a few feet here and there, that's a losing proposition.

Best $10 I ever spent. Actually, I think it was $5, since I split the spool. Best $5 I've spent on gear in a long time.

Lots of options out there: 3 16 bungee, Business Industrial, eBay Motors. Great deals on eBay!

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    True.... I agree with you.

I always carry 2-3' extra in my kit "just in case", I have used it for all kinds of stuff.

A couple of times on trips where the seas were on the rough side I have made a loop to attach around the neck of the tank I have my gear on to the tank holder or rail to keep it in place if it looks a little top heavy or squirrelly. I had my wifes gear take a tumble out of the holders one time and it bent the 1st stage where it hit the deck ($$).
    DevilDiver

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    True.... I agree with you.

I always carry 2-3' extra in my kit "just in case", I have used it for all kinds of stuff.

A couple of times on trips where the seas were on the rough side I have made a loop to attach around the neck of the tank I have my gear on to the tank holder or rail to keep it in place if it looks a little top heavy or squirrelly. I had my wifes gear take a tumble out of the holders one time and it bent the 1st stage where it hit the deck ($$).
    Oy. I had that happen once. (Not that long ago, actually) Rig took a tumble off the holder when a rogue wave really rocked the boat while I stepped 5 feet away, for just a moment, to set my fins closer to the gate. Whole rig completely flipped over and landed on the first stage. My tech practically had to rebuild the whole first stage from spare parts! (snapped the connector of a 7' Miflex long hose, too) That was an expensive lesson I already knew but apparently needed reinforcement.

But yes, bungee is handy stuff. Well worth the $5.

Grouper
    Images
    I noticed west marine has bungee cord but i didnt notice what size.

Back on the compass topic the oceanic compass worked out well for me!

Barracuda

Another Vote for SUUNTO

While not very experienced at diving yet, as a 23 Army guy I have seen a compass or 2. I almost always fall back to SUUNTO. I used the rental compass from my LDS for my O/W. it sucked. It worked, but was a pain keeping it perfectly level to work. I ordered 2 Suunto SK-7s that night, 1 for me 1 for my buddy. WE have a few dives on them now and the are the cats pitute. The wrist strap sucks and will be getting the shockcord mounts soon. Good gear. sometimes what u pay is worth it.

Guppy
    I use a console mounted compass, it's set up like a nav. board. The most difficult thing about navigation is getting a continuos lubber line setting. Holding a compass out in front of you in exactly the same way each time is the only way I know of to be consistent in direction. I like to sight down thw lubber line at some sort of target as for out as line of sight will allow and swim towards it while continuing the search for the next sight line. Having the compass on the same board as your depth gauge will allow you to monitor your current depth as well. If you are trying to lets say return to the boat after a long dive the ability to navigate accurately cab become very important as that end of the dive will have less breathable gas in reserve. If you start at 1200 lbs and have a 400 yard swim keeping at 15 fsw will dramatically extend the breathing time over being at 30 fsw. As for kick cycles and direction all is really important to factor in but when a couple of divers are wandering around a reef keeping cycles and turns becomes almost impossible goes. I tend to surface at a set air pressure and take a direct sighting on the boat with my compass, while doing that if I'm with a buddy I will point directly at the boat from the surface while he is still on the bottom allowing him to set a heading on his compass. I then drop in and we take off, I then count cycles so I have an idea as to when we might be in the area. If needed he will do the second surface sighting to eliminate bounce patterns. May not be the most efficient but we always get back no problems with air to spare. If doing a deep dive to a set local then all that gibberish isn't needed.
    Bill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information