Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compass direction needed

Grouper
    Images

Compass direction needed

Im taking aow next weekend and need to figure out what compass to get. I dive a wrist mounted computer and a spg. I have seen hose mounted compasses, wrist mounted and ST has one mounted on a slate. I have been thinking about a wrist mounted compass but dont want to look like a stolen watch dealer.
    Any help would be great!

I have the same issue. During my OW, I used a borrowed compass on a slate. I really liked that one. Easier to hold level and had a retractor.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmccoy View Post
    Im taking aow next weekend and need to figure out what compass to get. I dive a wrist mounted computer and a spg. I have seen hose mounted compasses, wrist mounted and ST has one mounted on a slate. I have been thinking about a wrist mounted compass but dont want to look like a stolen watch dealer.
    Any help would be great!
    Whichever you pick, just remember to keep your compass level and "fly" straight.

I did mine in 10' vis...between counting kick cycles, keeping the compass level, swiming true and counting 90 degree angles...it sure did test my focus.

Grouper
    Images
    I have a compass on my console. If I were to do it over again, I would look at something else. I like to route my console tucked under my left arm, running through my bc 'hole' that my arm goes through. This keeps it from dangling on the bottom, keeps computer and air close at hand. It also means that to be effective with my compass I have to pull it out of it's place so that I can hold it effetively.

Compass on a small slate, or just on a retractor has a neat appeal to it. The slate in particular as you can mark down headings. However, I've never used this, and don't know how big the slate is. With camera, and light, sometimes I don't really want one more large item dangling from me.
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Grouper
    I have a compass on a retractor that I clip to a D-ring on my BC, it keeps it easily accessible and out of the way.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

Grouper
    on your wrist or on a retractor are your best options, on a console is just a PITA when actually trying to navigate.

As for a particular compass, the sunnto sk-7 is, imo, one of the better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by rayaa3 View Post
    I have a compass on my console. If I were to do it over again, I would look at something else. I like to route my console tucked under my left arm, running through my bc 'hole' that my arm goes through. This keeps it from dangling on the bottom, keeps computer and air close at hand. It also means that to be effective with my compass I have to pull it out of it's place so that I can hold it effetively.

Compass on a small slate, or just on a retractor has a neat appeal to it. The slate in particular as you can mark down headings. However, I've never used this, and don't know how big the slate is. With camera, and light, sometimes I don't really want one more large item dangling from me.
    The one I used was very similar to this one (Retractor Compass on Slate reviews and discounts, Cetecea). Not too big.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I have used a couple of different ones. Don't get the DR or the one on the slate in my opinion as I found them to NOT be tip tolerant at all. I would recommend either a SUUNTO SK7 or the Genesis one that is advertised as tippable. Just my opinion...
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Barracuda
    I keep my compass loosely bungie mounted on my left wrist, not so loose it moves on it's own. For quick reference I just glance at it. For navigation I slide it down into my palm, with the bungie still at my wrist so I can't drop it. I've found for me this works best. I get less clutter and am still more streamlined and I can use it easily at my center.

I also use and really like the Suunto SK7, easy to read from most angles and can be tilted quite far without affecting operation.

Shark
    Images
    Have to say the Suunto on a retractor as well. I know it's a lot of money, but well, ya get what ya pay for.

Sine Timore!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information