Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side mount

Guppy

Exclamation side mount

I have seen all types of rigs for side mounting ...bought ones, made ones, then bought ones that were modified. But my question is I have seen the bottle clipped to bungee from the neck, then I have seen some clip to chest ring and us bungee to keep it close . please give me info and pics would be greatly appreciated. thanks for the help.
    Last edited by underh2o; 04-15-2010 at 21:19. Reason: fro not a word

Barracuda
    Images
    Here is bunch of videos on sidemount setup.
    Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive RIte Scuba
    Just scroll down toward the bottom of the page.

I just got my Oxycheq Recon today and will be give it try this weekend in the pool.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda Founding Member
    Normal stage bottles when diving standard doubles are clipped off the the chest and waist D-rings.

When side mounting the tank neck can be attached a few different ways. One is to clip it off to a bungee strap attach from the chest d-ring to the back of the plate. Another is to wrap the same bungee around the tank valve. The bottom of the tank is clipped off to a buttplate.

Barracuda Founding Member
    This is the rigging I have at the bottom of this page..

OMS Technical Dive Harness Backplate Systems http://www.OMSdive.com

http://www.omsdive.com/downloads/side_mount.pdf

The neck clip on the tank goes to the shoulder D-Ring. The lower Clip which is attached to the tank via a cam band hooks to the bar at the bottom bars of the sidemount profile adapter. The bungees going from a D ring at the top of the profile adapter, loop around the tank valve and connect back to the shoulder D Ring on my backplate.

Grouper
    Images
    I have yet to get mine in the water but, from what i understand there are 2 ways to secure the tank neck. The first method is to clip the neck to your sholder ring then wrap the bungee around the bottom on the valve and clip that to the shoulder ring, to keep the tank close. The second is to clip the neck clip to the bungee and clip the bungee to the shoulder ring.

I think Comet has said this already.

Shark Founding Member
    Just as an FYI the only reason that the neck of the tank is clipped to the chest D-Ring is as a backup. It should not have any load on it if your tank is secured properly by the bungee. Two different bungee styles that I am aware of are

1. Nomad style - Bungee is clipped off on your back and then with a bolt snap you attach it to your chest d-ring. The bungee in this style can either go under the tank valve and then you can clip your top tank bolt snap to your chest d-ring also as a backup if you want to, or you can use a choker to keep the top tank bolt snap snug against the tank valve and just use that to clip to the bungee. Typically if you use the choker your bungee is a little bit shorter.

2. Armadillo method - A loop of bungee is tied to an upper ring on your back (in the same place the bungee in #1 is attached) and then that loop just wraps around the tank valve to keep it in place.

Me personally I use the Armadillo method as of right now. I am still playing with my rig. I have one system set up with the OMS Profile that georoc linked to that is on a SS backplate that can be used for Open Water sidemount, then I have another homemade soft plate that was made by a friend of mine that is going to be used for sidemount when I start my cave training.

Phil
    For current Midwest Diving Conditions go to www.midwestmuckdiving.com. They cannot be current unless you help. Please post any updates that you may have for whatever quarry or lake you just came out of...

Barracuda
    I haven't tried sidemount yet because there is not standardization in the gear configuration which I don't like. That being said, I'll probably try it at some point because there are places I want to go that I need it for.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Barracuda
    Images
    We are diving the Recon from Oxycheq. The first dives I did we used the bungee run around the tank valve and it just didnít feel secure to me. So we switch to 15-inch bungee and using the Diverite choker system and found it easy to hookup to the tanks just felt a lot more secure. Also, the way the straps float on both the value end and the door handle seems to make body positioning and trim easier. We also just order a Poseidon Jetstream regulator which can be used with the hose to right or left so we donít have to run any hoses behind our head.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda
    Images
    What size tanks are you guys using? I tried a 5-mil with HP X7-100 and was really over weighted. I'm looking at some LP77 since that should be about right amount of weight or just slightly over weighted. Thought about LP85 but true volume is 82.9 so for the extra cost and length I can’t justify. A friend is looking into AL72 but they start at -.6 and end up a +3.5 and just don't want to deal with the positive buoyancy issues in tanks.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 04-21-2010 at 14:38.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Shark Founding Member
    I have used steel 72's and hp100's, but I am always in a DS. If the al72's are new tanks then they should be neutral when empty. I have one that I use as a deco bottle. The rear of the tank still gets lite but averall I like it better that using an 80.

Phil
    For current Midwest Diving Conditions go to www.midwestmuckdiving.com. They cannot be current unless you help. Please post any updates that you may have for whatever quarry or lake you just came out of...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information