Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming Dry Gloves

Grouper

Trimming Dry Gloves

I have a pair of dry gloves like this, PVC gloves. After I have rigged them to the rings I have too much cuff leftover that gets in the way when putting them on. Is there any special considerations I should take when if I cut an inch or two off the bottom?

Shark Founding Member
    I cut mine flush to my Viking rings but I put the rings on far enough back on the glove that I have some extra. The reason for the extra is so that if you should put your hand in your glove one day before a dive and you pop the ring out, you have plenty of extra material there to be able to put the ring back in quickly.

I had this happen to me a few months ago. I put it back together and did the dive and then when I got home I took it apart and then took my time putting it back together so that I had it fluch up to the ring again.

I little bit of extra past the ring can help you identify if the gloves are starting to slip through the rings though. So maybe leave just enough for visual reference but not enough to make it difficult to get your hands in there.

Phil
    For current Midwest Diving Conditions go to www.midwestmuckdiving.com. They cannot be current unless you help. Please post any updates that you may have for whatever quarry or lake you just came out of...

Barracuda
    After I install the rings I cut off all but about 1/2" of glove. The only considerations should be make sure they fit properly and don't poke a hole through any part that is supposed to keep you dry.

Grouper
    Thanks for the clarification guys. I wasn't planning on cutting all the excess but right now there is way too much and it gets in the way when trying to get them on and get a decent seal.

Since we are basically on the subject, is there anything that can be done about liners that are too long as well? I had a leak on 2 dives because the liner blocked the seal but I'm not sure you can really go about cutting the liner without it unraveling.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlane View Post
    Thanks for the clarification guys. I wasn't planning on cutting all the excess but right now there is way too much and it gets in the way when trying to get them on and get a decent seal.

Since we are basically on the subject, is there anything that can be done about liners that are too long as well? I had a leak on 2 dives because the liner blocked the seal but I'm not sure you can really go about cutting the liner without it unraveling.
    You can cut them and sew the loose edge.

Barracuda
    you can cut them or get a different liner. I use wool liners, a few friends use a polartec (i think) glove liner from the sporting goods store. I also keep and extra pair of liners in my bag in case I ever have a leak, so after I fix it my hands will still be warm and dry for the next few dives.

Shark Founding Member
    I just stuff them in the cuff and make sure to be carefull when I am sealing the gloves. I have only had it leak on me one time. I also keep an extra pair of liners with me just incase...

Phil
    For current Midwest Diving Conditions go to www.midwestmuckdiving.com. They cannot be current unless you help. Please post any updates that you may have for whatever quarry or lake you just came out of...

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I'm not clear how the liner blocked the seal, unless you somehow caught the liner up while sealing the glove on and didn't notice?

I've had that happen with the little clippy thing on my liner gloves (the clip you use to clip the two gloves together when you're not wearing them), but I've never had the glove itself get caught. The sealing parts of the rings are pretty far away from the glove material that's flush against my wrist.

Grouper
    The liners are fairly long so when I went to twist the gloves shut the liner must have gotten in the seal somehow. I may try switching to some new liners, probably some actually gloves like some of you are mentioning.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlane View Post
    The liners are fairly long so when I went to twist the gloves shut the liner must have gotten in the seal somehow. I may try switching to some new liners, probably some actually gloves like some of you are mentioning.
    I use these: Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch Gloves - Men's at REI.com

These are warm enough (for me... everyone has different tolerances) in water down to 50*F. Not what I'd consider "toasty" in the lower temp ranges, but certainly good enough to keep my fingers nimble enough to work the camera, which is all I ask.

I've heard people have good luck with cheap army surplus wool gloves, too... I may try a pair at some point to see how they compare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information