Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle vs Bare Wetsuits

Grouper
    Images

Pinnacle vs Bare Wetsuits

Hi,

I'm getting ready to buy a new 3 mil wetsuit and and a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices. I think I've narrowed things down to either a Bare or Pinnacle suit but still have a few questions. So here we go:

1. Any opinions on which brand is better or does everyone feel that they are about equal in terms of quality ???

2. Is the Merino lining worth the extra money on the Pinnacle suits ???

3. I've heard that the more flexible neoprene doesn't last as long or insulate as well as "traditional" neoprene. Is it better to get say a Pinnacle Seal wetsuit or pay the extra bucks and get the elastiprene ?

4. The Bare Progressive wetsuit is nice looking but significantly cheaper than the Pinnacle elastiprene suits. Is this a great bargain or is the extra money spent for the pinnacle worth it ???

So many questions !!! I appreciate everyone's input.

Bob

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I have a Bare 7mm, and IMHO, this company offers the most bang for the buck with wetsuits. Very well made products. I have used Pinnacle wetsuits also, and they are also good suits, and are very warm due to the Merino lining. In the 3mil suits, I use a Henderson Hyperstretch and it is by far the most comfortable suit I have ever worn. I am not that worried about how long it will last b/c it is that comfortable.

If you are going to use this suit for warm water, tropics, etc, go for a more elastic suit, like Henderson, b/c warmth may not be an issue. Hyperstretch is not that warm, but warm enough. If you need a little more warmth, then Bare or Pinnacle might be the better choice, with Pinnacle probably being the warmest of your choices. You can't go wrong with either. Try them on and see which fits the best. Bare tends to fit me better than Pinnacle. Try the Henderson Hyperstretch, though. Once you put it on, most people end up buying it.

Guppy
    I have a Bare 5/4 suit (not Progressive Stretch) which fits very well, and was a great deal from ST. I also bought my Pinnacle Seal Merino 3mm, also not stretchy, from ST. I have to say that it is almost as warm as the Bare, I think due to the Merino lining, but I do wish that it had the ankle zippers like the Bare... makes it kinda hard to get on quickly. My only other gripe with the fit of the Pinnacle is that it is a little baggy behind the knees, and I have noticed this on several other people wearing various types of pinnacle suits as well. Overall though, the build quailty of the Pinnacle is very nice. My Bare suit broke one of the teeth on the zipper, but was replaced at the factory and shipped back to me, free of charge, by the wonderful folks at ScubaToys... gotta love those guys

Grouper
    I dont have a Pinnacle suit but I do have a Henderson Hyperstretch 5mm and a Bare Progressive stretch 3/2 suit. My work provides my Henderson suit and I purchased my Bare Progressive 3/2 suit from ST and I actually think the Bare is just as comfortable as my Henderson and the quality of the Bare is just as good as the Henderson as well. I prefer the rubberized chest pannel and the wrist, ankle and neck seals on the Bare a little more than that of the Henderson. And the Bare is appx 1/2 the cost of the Henderson Hyperstretch.

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobArnold8265 View Post
    Hi,
    1. Any opinions on which brand is better or does everyone feel that they are about equal in terms of quality ???
    I think that you would be happy with either brand.
    2. Is the Merino lining worth the extra money on the Pinnacle suits ???
    Yes! Not only does it make the suit warmer, but it also makes it easier to get on and off! Especially so when you or the suit is wet
    3. I've heard that the more flexible neoprene doesn't last as long or insulate as well as "traditional" neoprene. Is it better to get say a Pinnacle Seal wetsuit or pay the extra bucks and get the elastiprene ?
    I don't know about either super stretchy material here but I know the Henderson Hyper stretch material is worthless for thermal protection. I have a Seal and have used it comfortably in to the low 70's. Did I mention that I hate being cold.
    4. The Bare Progressive wetsuit is nice looking but significantly cheaper than the Pinnacle elastiprene suits. Is this a great bargain or is the extra money spent for the pinnacle worth it ???
    I think that the Pinnacle is a better manufactured suit and will have more features. I have a Seal 3mm w/merino Lining, a Fusion 5/4 with Lining, and a 7/5 with lining. Yes I like their suits!

I have a Bare 7mm Velocity and a Pinnacle core warmer. They're both fine. I wish the zipper was longer on the Bare because getting it on can be a chore, but it seems like a well made wetsuit and I don't have any complaints, especially considering the price. The Pinnacle is really warm, though, considering how non-bulky it is.

Guppy
    Did you order the Pinnacle core warmer in a smaller size than the 7mil or the same... do you wear it underneath. Also... it has no zipper... velcro closure?

Grouper
    Images
    just got a bare 3/2 today.. fit was perfect! comfortable.. easy don/doff... don't know how it's gonna be in the water yet, but certainly seems well made.. nice color options too!......
    i will play for gumbo.

Grouper
    I have a Bare Alpine 7mm and love diving in it.

to answer your points in order
    1. Both are great, but I lean towards Pinnacle
    2. yes, the Merino lining is absolutely worth it. I think it makes the 3mm seal suit comfortable down to about 60F
    3. I have heard the same issues, but Pinnacle claims to have beaten this problem with their elistiprene. That said, I have the Seal and if I had to buy a new 3mm, I would buy it again.
    4. No knowledge here, so no comment

My opinion- Pinnacle is a great company that seems to be taking the wetsuit market by storm. My expirience has shown the little things that they put into their suits (the soft seals on ankle, wrist and neck, not the least of) make them some of the nicest suits that I have ever tried. not to mention that Pinnacle is the first wetsuit that I have had that fits perfectly (including 2 customs)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information