Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone take backup reg on trips?

Guppy
    Figure it like this... Cost of trip= $2000+ vs Cost of spare reg rented from your own local dive shop= $100.

It is an insurance policy that you MAY not need. Having said that, the last place I want to be is on a liveaboard, 200 miles from nowhere, with a screwed up reg.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Draq View Post
    Good point on the first stage. I guess my assumption was the type of problems likely to occur on a dive trip were more likely to involve a second stage, but I am thinking that was wrong.
    Stuff can go wrong with anything. I will say if you dive locally and are using the regs before you travel your odds of problems are less than someone like me - I gave up local diving so often I find myself traveling with regs that haven't been tested at home after service. And failures are probably most common after service. In my experience if they've screwed up a first stage it tends to be a much bigger problem. If they don't get a second stage quite right it's more often just annoying but diveable. (And what seems at first breath like a second stage problem often turns out to really be the first stage.) YMMV.

If I'm diving with the family I'll take parts and tools so I can repair or rebuild in the field since all the regs are the same. If I'm leading a group trip I'll take a rental set from the LDS.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I always being an extra set of regs if at all possible.

When flying and struggling with luggage allowances, that can be tricky and I'll sometimes strip it down to just a first and second stage (I figure I can rent or borrow hoses, SPGs, etc., if needed but the actual regs are the critical part.)

Locally, or when weight is not an issue, I have a second reg bag with a full set of regs and spare computer ready to go. It's saved the day for myself once or twice, and saved the day for fellow divers more times than I can count up.

Grouper
    I don't think you're being too cautious/paranoid/impractical. My own strategy is to pack a backup first and second stage. I've had to use the back up on a liveaboard once and at a resort another time in the past year.

Guppy
    For me, my philosophy is I'll definitely spend a few more bucks on luggage fees (or take less clothes - who needs too much of those on a scuba trip anyway)? than risk spending similar $$$ for any rental reg that I don't know the service history, I don't know who else has been using, and don't know if it will be tuned better than what I get from the tech i take my regs to locally (likely answer is no).
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

I bring an extra 1st stage on trips. I bought one of the Zeagle Rezorts new from Scubatoys when they were $60. If my 1st stage fails, I'll just switch hoses. We often dive where a repair tech isn't easily accessible.

Guppy
    I have an extra Z2 second stage. I guess I will consider looking around for a used 1st, and then may take that.

The dive trips I am talking about require flights (they all do for me) and often where I dive no one services or has parts for the Atomic and Oceanic regs we use.

We have always carried the regs, computers and camera gear with us and I am about at the limit of what I can carry. I guess I could put the backup reg in the checked luggage.

Guppy
    That's what I do - I have to put the backup reg set in checked luggage along with BC, fins, etc. We've had good luck with the sturdy brass key style TSA approved padlocks, but one big tip is don't put the zippers together then lock them at the top or bottom of the suitcase, the luggage converyors (human and machines) can get thouse caught somewhere, and it'll actually break the zipper hoops on the luggage zips as the weak point.

TSA Luggage Locks

All the plastic body TSA approved locks are flimsy with thin hasps even I can bend / snap using my hands. These brass body keyed locks have strong bodies and thick shackles in comparison.

Stick around the check-in counter where you drop your checked bag for screening if it's being performed behind the check-in counter. Even though these have been around since 2002, the legions of TSA workers are not well educated on these and even though there's a number stamped on them for TSA to use to identify a TSA issued key for TSDA to have on hand for TSA to open these, don't count on any TSA agent being aware of or even caring about that. If needed, lend them your keys and make sure you see them (direct them verbally as necessary with visual observation of the task) re-lock it with the zippers together along the side (long end) of the piece of baggage before they toss it on the conveyor.

These have worked well for us with those caveats most of this decade.
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information