Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone take backup reg on trips?

Guppy

Anyone take backup reg on trips?

I typically take dive trips of one to two weeks duration with three other divers. We tend to travel to places where getting our regs repaired would not be likely and I have considered taking along an extra second stage to leave in the room just in case someone's primary or octo went south. Other option would be to rent a reg at about $10.00 a day.

Just wondering if anyone does this or if I am perhaps being a little too cautious/paranoid/impractical.

Barracuda
    Images
    I don't take a extra reg but I do take a rebuild kit for the rig I'm diving.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper

back up regs

When we go on vacation I bring 1 extra full set up with just in case.
    Last summer while diving my daughter broke her first stage when she dropped it while it was attached to the tank. She bent the part of the yoke that mates up to the tank valve. After I blew a gasket with her, I pulled out the spare set up and off we went diving.

I also bring pony set ups that we could use as a back up if i didn't have the full set up along. My pony set ups are the same as my back gas set ups.

Jim Breslin

Guppy
    I always bring one extra reg set with us if we're planning recreational dive profiles, more first stages if we plan on doing some tech diving.
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Grouper
    Yes or a repair kit but often it is easier to just carry a spare reg complete, rigged and ready to go.

N

Barracuda Founding Member
    Depends on the trip but I usually have extra gear. Many of my trips require multiple regs. anyway so the option is there to change things around as needed. I been lucky so far and never have a reg. crap out to where it was unusable.

I am hard on my gear but don't abuse it(swimming through small rusty openings has a way of taking a toll on things) and thus keep it in good shape and know how to make many repairs.

We sometimes take along a spare set of regs, to use or pillage. Depends where we're going and how tight the luggage is.

For the most part, need for said spare never occurs when we have it, always when we don't.

If you're boat diving, your spare will probably do you more good with you on the boat than in your room. And if you're concerned enough to take a second stage, may as well have an extra first stage too. (The time we most needed this, it was a first stage that blew itself apart, on the boat and nowhere near shore.)

Since most of my trips are usually for a at least 2 weeks, I always take a spare complete reg (w/octo and spg) and repair kits for both stages of at least one of them. I also take o-rings for hp spool as well as a complete spool. And tools.

Guppy
    Hmmm...

Not boat diving...shore diving. I don't have the tools and parts to service or rebuild a reg. I don't have any training or manuals either. If it isn't obvious and can't be done with the basic tools I normally carry, I probably would not mess with it.

Good point on the first stage. I guess my assumption was the type of problems likely to occur on a dive trip were more likely to involve a second stage, but I am thinking that was wrong.

I don't think I can justify the space and weight of an additional first stage as well, so perhaps I will not bother with a second stage either, and will rent if needed.

There is only so much backup stuff one can take and the luggage allowances are not getting larger.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I carry a ton of extra stuff (including a reg set). My save a dive kit is huge. BUT I also have three non-divers in my family so the luggage allowance isn't as big of a deal.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information