Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Important are Snorkels?

Grouper
    I only use one for long surface swims on beach dives.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

Quote Originally Posted by chilly willy View Post
    I only use one for long surface swims on beach dives.
    I always wear one for, as Chilly W says for long surface swims, also on the surface in heavy seas, and while swimming on the surface and wanting to retain some air for emergencies.

I also carry, a octo set-up, a small knife and shears. I use my snorkel on occasion. I have never used the octo, knife or shears.

For what its worth.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    What is this "snorkel" thing you are discussing?

I have a hollow tube in the bottom of my gear trunk that needs to be there when participating in PADI courses, but it never goes on dives, and I do not know why I need it....

Is that thing a "snorkel"?
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Grouper
    We use all types for cold water 48-52F Northern California kelp freediving. With and without purge. What is most important for me is comfortable mouthpiece, unrestricted bore with fresh air, does not oscillate when moving through the water, and does not get hung up easily in kelp. A top diverter works for me when in windy or rough conditions with water washing overhead

If you ever intend on ocean diving, it may be a good idea to get a comfortable one. It will help conserve air while on the surface. The ocean has a lot of marine life. While on the surface, it is easier to look down with a snorkel rather than burning tank air or raising head to breath. Snorkels have quick releases, so they can easily be removed when not needed. If not needed for your type of diving then no sense in spending much on a specialty snorkel though.

If you plan on snorkeling or freediving when on vacation, take a look at a semidry snorkel; it is nice for multipurpose use.

I use the same snorkels for exercising, freediving, and on SCUBA.

Grouper
    One use of the snorkel that isn't frequently mentioned is that you can use a snorkel to perform EAR on a victim in an emergency.

Generally I bring my snorkel on all trips, though I do not necessarily attach them on my mask for every dive. I like to snorkel in between dives. There are times when you may have just surfaced from a dive, in the midst of your surface interval when some marine creatures such as turtles, whale sharks or dolphins approaches the boat. In such a time you will definitely curse yourself if you do not have a snorkel and am not ready to jump in and snorkel around them!
    “From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders.. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free" -- Cousteau

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lj82 View Post
    One use of the snorkel that isn't frequently mentioned is that you can use a snorkel to perform EAR on a victim in an emergency.

Generally I bring my snorkel on all trips, though I do not necessarily attach them on my mask for every dive. I like to snorkel in between dives. There are times when you may have just surfaced from a dive, in the midst of your surface interval when some marine creatures such as turtles, whale sharks or dolphins approaches the boat. In such a time you will definitely curse yourself if you do not have a snorkel and am not ready to jump in and snorkel around them!
    EAR only works if your snorkel does not have a purge. Most snorkels sold today have purges, so they're not useful for that particular task. One reason why it's mentioned very often. (It's also a specialty skill that should not be attempted without training.)

Barracuda Founding Member
    I have the Oceanic one and use it when I am DMing. For most diving snorkels are not needed and in some cases a hazard.

It's a piece of equipment you should own, know how to use properly but understand it's uses and drawback.

I do a lot of wreck diving and would never think of wearing on when I penetration a wreck. It could hook on something and rip my mask off.

I usually take one with me though and will snorkel on some shallow dives.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I own a few.

1.) Expensive Aqualung that I got in OW. It sucks, I hate it.
    2.) Dry snorkel that I got from ST. It's the store brand cheapy. Works awesome for snorkeling or if I am planning a LONG surface swim (Like to the Hilma Hooker) BUT I put take it off before I submerge and put it in a pocket as it's like wearing a wing on your mask strap.
    3.) Roll up snorkel I take on any boat dives and dives that "might" require a snorkel (such as in a class where standards say I must have a snorkel). (It rarely comes out of my pocket.)
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    Works awesome for snorkeling or if I am planning a LONG surface swim (Like to the Hilma Hooker)
    I must be in better shape than I thought, and I'm 63. I distinctly remember a casual 10-15 minute paddle on my back, yacking with my dive partners.

Guppy
    I find it useful during our 24 hour minimum 'no diving before flying' window, to go snorkeling.

I know others may advocate all sorts of different standards, we stick with 24 hours OR our dive computer calculted time to desaturate per the algorithm - whichever is longer (and we've had some trips with >24 hour time to desaturate per the algorithm i.e. no EAN available).
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information