Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Important are Snorkels?

TadPole

How Important are Snorkels?

I am looking at getting a snorkel and I saw that Oceanic has a pocket snorkel that you can keep in your BC pocket. It is only a little less than their top of the line, ultra dry snorkel. My question is how important is it to have a snorkel? I really do not like them as they are in the way and bothersome. Do dive charters require that everyone have a snorkel? In my OW training they made us use the snorkel for some excersises but I do not see a time when I really need one. Just wanted to see what the more experienced divers had to say on this topic.

Some divers continue to wear snorkels after OW, some keep them stashed someplace on them while diving, and some don't dive with them at all. It really depends on your diving conditions and personal preference. I've never seen a charter require one. If you'd like to have a snorkel while diving but not wear it I think pocket type snorkels are a great solution for some.

Folding or rollup snorkels tend not to be quite as nice to use if you are going to do a lot of actual snorkeling with them. (And anything labeled Ultra Dry tends to be hard to stow and probably not something you want hanging on your mask while you're diving.) I will say, I have tried several of them (though not the Oceanic) and some sucked so look for reviews of the one you are interested in. I've settled on one like this though it's a different brand.
    Last edited by Damselfish; 04-21-2010 at 21:18.

Grouper
    snorkels are completely unimportant, until you need it.... like in heavy surf or +3ft swells... keep it stashed with you, you will thank yourself in the AM.

~Recon

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Worthless piece of plastic.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

don't wear them. just keep one in your dive bag tho.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Some people look at them like a security blanket and don't like to dive without them. That's perfectly fine.

Others hate them with a passion.

I see a place for them, but for me, that place is either an emergency or in a class... or for snorkeling. A pocket snorkel is a great compromise.

Grouper
    Unless I am snorkeling, I do not carry one.
    In fact, I can't remember where mine is.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Grouper
    Images
    I fully agree
    it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it
    SAFETY first

Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    snorkels are completely unimportant, until you need it.... like in heavy surf or +3ft swells... keep it stashed with you, you will thank yourself in the AM.

~Recon

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    I have a snorkel that stays in my dive bag in the unlikely event that a charter will require one. The only charter I can recall that required a snorkel was Conch Republic in Islamorada in the Florida keys. But once on board, the dive master didn't care, and neither did the captain.

On a trip to the Bahamas, there were places to snorkel, and since you can't take lobsters with scuba over there, one might come in handy.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BSea View Post
    I have a snorkel that stays in my dive bag in the unlikely event that a charter will require one. The only charter I can recall that required a snorkel was Conch Republic in Islamorada in the Florida keys. But once on board, the dive master didn't care, and neither did the captain.

On a trip to the Bahamas, there were places to snorkel, and since you can't take lobsters with scuba over there, one might come in handy.
    +1

Even though I do not use one (unless a particular dive would require it) I have seemed to accumulate quite a few of them. Now that I think about it, "Where the H did all of this crap come from?", I could buy a new strobe for my camera for what I have paid for all of the scuba nick-knacks I have laying around.
    DevilDiver

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information