Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Knife or Full Size Knife

TadPole

BC Knife or Full Size Knife

I am looking to get a dive knife and I pretty much have decided on either the UK Remora or the UK Blue Tang (both Ti). The Remora seems nice as it is small and I can keep it out of the way. I like the blunt tip on the Blue Tang and it seems like you could do more with a blunt tip knife than with the smaller BC knife but then I would have to strap the knife to my leg. I just want to know what are people's thoughts on the two styles. Do you really lose a lot of functionality with a small BC knife or is there really not a lot of difference and it is better to have the more compact one?

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    go with the small knife. There is no need for full-sized knives unless you think it makes you look macho (it doesn't).

Chances are, you will never need tocut yourself free. If you do, the small knife will ne plenty big enough to cut some mono or netting.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

EMT Shears but if you're stuck on the two go with a BC knife

Grouper
    I keep a small BC knife along with shears.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I would go with a small knife with a blunt tip. I have a small knife on my BP/W. It goes on every dive I make. When I need addition cutting devices I add them but always have that small knife on my harness.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Unless you're hunting (or plan to fight Bond villans underwater) there's really no need for a big knife for normal recreational diving.

The small one will do nicely. A pair of shears in a pocket is nice insurance, too.

i asked the same question about my sog seal team a while back and will post the same advice i got: screw the naysayers, wear what you want.

now, having said that ..i ended up getting a sog seal pup and for use on my shoulder strap and keep the big brother dedicated to backpacking.

now, having said that ..it sat in my dive bag all week because knives/gloves aren't allowed in the cozumel parks (though i'm sure you could sneak them in from time to time)

Barracuda Founding Member
    Sorry, I know it's not necessary but &^%*&% I really like my big Ti knife strapped to my leg. (however, I also have shears and a line cutting knife on my belt that I can get to with either hand if I ever really needed them...)
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    My recreational dive knife.

My Sea Hunt/Kill the Bad Guys Underwater Weapon

On a serious note, I would rethink a blunt tipped Ti knife. Ti is very brittle, and if you use it as a pry bar, you could break it. My small knife is Ti, but if I had to do it over, I'd just stay with stainless steel. Especially for a larger knife that you might use as a tool.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

I have a bigger knife alot like an Atomic TI knife for my calf, but I rarely carry it since I have a smaller bc knife for dispatching fish.

I'm considering carrying a tree saw also.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information