Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheating Underwater

Grouper
    Images

Question Overheating Underwater

I read a forum post that put a question in my mind I had not previously considered.

Has anyone OVERheated underwater because their wetsuit was too thick?

I can image it would be bulkier than necessary, and I have overheated on quarry dives while on the surface waiting to get in the water, but how often do people overheat while UNDER the water????

Guppy
    It hasn't happened to me, because if I feel warm, I pull open the neck seal, and let some water into the suit. So far, no problems.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Unless someone wasn't thinking clearly I would think that they would do Miked's solution. Interesting question though. I imagine it would be possible with a dry suit. Never really thought about it.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Yes, I have gotten hot in my 7mm wet. Problem in my area is that summer time, the top 30 feet can be in 80s but the deep water is still in the 40s. So dressing for the bottom can result in discomfort on the way down and up. The answer (as stated already) is to pull the neck-seal and flush fresh water into the suit periodically.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

TadPole

overheating underwater

yup, I've had an overheating experience before... I was teaching diving in the caymans and I ended up taking off my wetsuit underwater just to cool down.... water temperature was 31 deg C.. (+- 85 F) ..

Megalodon
    Images
    I routinely dive a 7mm john and jacket and find myself inzipping the jacket when coming up from the colder depths. It's funny when you've spent 30 minutes at 50f and come up to 65f shallows how warm the 65 feels.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper

overheating

I have done as others have posted also.
    When I dive wet I often find myself either flushing water down the neck or up one of the arms.

Jim Breslin

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I felt a bit too warm diving in heavy current in Bali in 84 degree water, wearing a very warm 5mm full suit.

Letting some water in via the neck helped a lot, though. It was only an issue that one dive when I was fighting the current much of the time... same temp on other dives didn't bother me.

Grouper
    Images
    So is a 5mm a good suit for tropical (80 oF) dives in general and if I get too warm I can open the neck?
    Or should I stick with my 3/2mm and hood?
    I don't really get "cold", but have noticed in the past couple years that I chill easier than I used to.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhD4JC View Post
    So is a 5mm a good suit for tropical (80 oF) dives in general and if I get too warm I can open the neck?
    Or should I stick with my 3/2mm and hood?
    I don't really get "cold", but have noticed in the past couple years that I chill easier than I used to.
    I dive in SoCal (cold water, albeit not freezing), which means a 7mm hood (or more) year round.

I HATE HOODS.

Diving a 5mm wetsuit allowed me to skip wearing a hood, while doing long slow dives in tropical waters (80-84*F). I was always comfortable (outside of the one overly-warm dive), unlike my 3mm-suited buddies who often came up shivering and ultimately had to reach for the hooded vests to stay comfortable. (To me, that defeats the point)

YMMV, but I was VERY happy with my choice. Coming from 7mm and drysuits, the 5mm was still noticeably more comfortable, plus, no hood!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information