Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7 Things that will help you capture a good photo

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PACKRMAN View Post
    Thanks
    If I remember correctly you do not use strobes?
    I use one, but it takes forever for it to re-energize for a second ( or fifth) shot. Is that why, or are strobes for nancy boys?
    Actually I have 2 strobes on my kit.

But... This last year I experimented u/w with available light (no strobes) and I have posted some of the photos. Depending on your cameras capabilities, your depth and the conditions you can get some great photos but it is more difficult and takes time and practice. So as far as the Nancy boy thing, not so much, it actually takes a pretty good photographer to balance the contrast and light and still get a decent exposure and details in the photo.

Topside I shoot without a external flash 90% of the time......

Not sure what strobe you have but I used to have a set of the older Sealife Digitals and they were very slow and frustrating (5-6 sec) so I can totally understand what you are saying.
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    The thing that helps me shoot a "better" photos is diving solo and taking my time. In my most recent trip, photography was not the major theme, we were doing drift dives in strong current and I had to at least pay lip service to staying with the DM. There was no time to set up, I would see a shot coming up, anticipate the set up, shoot and then say goodbye, there was no second chance to try a different composition or setting etc.

Diving with a group and shooting wide angle, be aware their fins, hands, antics and silting will effect nearly every shot.

The S90 and D2000 strobes can fire in continuous mode, bam, bam, bam and I found that handy for a few of the turtle shots I got since they were moving fast, I was moving fast with the current etc. When they came in range, I just pushed the shutter button, held it down and tracked the turtle firing continuously three to five shots. These three came from a sequence of five, I was trying to shoot a shark on one side and turned and panned to shoot the turtle and had zero time to set or reset my camera from the previous shot, I got what I got, I could probably clean these up some in PS:

My best shots are usually not the ones I worked at but were accidents. But, I admit fully, I am not an artist. I also have very different photographic tastes in that a photo that tells a story is more interesting to me even if it is technically poor. I also like darker exposures and higher color saturation than do a lot of people. Maybe someday I can get good enough to take shots other people like, for now I am satisfied to get shots I like.

I hate that Canon cameras do have a default orange/red color cast that must be dealt with, of course shooting in RAW does not have that issue.

I am using two strobes now but I often use just one:

N
    Last edited by Nemrod; 04-23-2010 at 22:26.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Great points there DD! The one thing I would add is that it is important to learn how to use a histogram. Color is hard to evaluate underwater in the best conditions. The histogram tells the true tale though. It's also important to remember that it is better to slightly underexpose a picture than slightly overexpose it. Burn the highlights and they're gone forever.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    These are both really good points, I totally agree.

Being able to review a histogram will not only tell you about contrast/exposure of the photo that you just took but can show you changes that you could need to make to improve it. Being able to review your shots as you take them is a huge advantage and tool.
    DevilDiver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information