Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bali, here I come!

Grouper
    Images

Talking Bali, here I come!

Leaving for Bali June 5 for 20 days! Woo Hoo!
    Plan on diving Nusa Penida, Tulamben and Tepekong for sure, with maybe a side trip to the Gili's.
    Does anyone have any must see recommendations?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    If you have time for a side trip to Amed (about 45 min from Tulamben, if memory serves), see if you can hit the Japanese Fishing Wreck. Nice little wreck, and tons of life around it.

Are you staying in Padang Bai for your Nusa Penida trips? Make friends with the locals and get them to take you on a quick run to Jepun, if you enjoy muck diving. Tons and tons of tiny critters around an artificial reef they're setting up. Not the most picturesque flora, but some great fauna and lots of nudis.

Manta Point, Shark Cave and the Canyon were also spectacular spots around Nusa Penida. I was less impressed by Toyapakeh than Tugu, but that may have been due to the very strong current at the former that made it more work than fun.

Once you get to Tulamben, spend as much time as you can on the Liberty Wreck, and break it up with dives at Seraya and Drop Off. Be sure to do a night dive right in front of the resorts up the shore from the wreck "Coral Garden" (in front of Paradise). All stunning!

After your dives, enjoy your pre-flight off-gassing in Ubud... get a massage and go to the monkey forest an hour or two before it opens (no gates!) to see the raucus riot in the central square.

Enjoy, I'm jealous!

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    please do a trip report to share here when you get back. Take lots of notes (we like hearing about hotel and food, too) and also lots of pictures, topside and underwater!!

have a great trip!!

robin

Grouper
    Images
    Thanks for the help CD. We are staying in Sanur for trips to Nusa Penida, but we should get to all the sites you listed. We have 2 night dives planned in Tulamben and I am pretty sure one is on the Liberty!

SR - I will definitly do a trip report! I am scoping out new little netbooks right now actually, hoping to get a good little computer to take with us. That way I can download all my pics and keep in touch!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnvip View Post
    Thanks for the help CD. We are staying in Sanur for trips to Nusa Penida, but we should get to all the sites you listed. We have 2 night dives planned in Tulamben and I am pretty sure one is on the Liberty!

SR - I will definitly do a trip report! I am scoping out new little netbooks right now actually, hoping to get a good little computer to take with us. That way I can download all my pics and keep in touch!
    Sounds great!

Internet access is pretty thin in the main diving areas of Bali. I'm ot sure about Sanur, but in Padang Bai, you may be able to get online. The topside stuff in Ubud is fully geared towards tourists, so no problem with internet there. In Amed and Tulamben, however (not to mention the smaller destinations), it's something of a long shot to get online. When we were in Tulamben, the one internet line into town was down all week.

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post

Internet access is pretty thin in the main diving areas of Bali. I'm ot sure about Sanur, but in Padang Bai, you may be able to get online. The topside stuff in Ubud is fully geared towards tourists, so no problem with internet there. In Amed and Tulamben, however (not to mention the smaller destinations), it's something of a long shot to get online. When we were in Tulamben, the one internet line into town was down all week.
    That must have been painful for you CD! I'm scheduled to go to Bali for a week of land based diving this fall and then on to a Komodo liveaboard. I know nothing of the particular sites, this trip was planned by a Spanish diving club which my friend has traveled with for years. I'll have to PM you after I see the specific itinerary.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Plan on diving Nusa Penida, Tulamben and Tepekong for sure, with maybe a side trip to the Gili's.
    Nope...no recommendations. Just wanted to chime in as to how jealous I am. I wish I was leaving in June .

What's your flight schedule like? The one I got from my travel agent was CRAZY . I was able to get rid of a few of the more heinous legs, but was wondering what other's have been like.

Have fun...and send LOTS OF PICS.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Funeral Jorunna
    I've stayed in Sanur before and had no problem with internet access and that was 5 years ago.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Shark
    Images
    Where is Bali?

Sine Timore!

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmoothdome View Post
    Nope...no recommendations. Just wanted to chime in as to how jealous I am. I wish I was leaving in June .

What's your flight schedule like? The one I got from my travel agent was CRAZY . I was able to get rid of a few of the more heinous legs, but was wondering what other's have been like.

Have fun...and send LOTS OF PICS.
    Smoothdome, mine is crazy too, but 1)I live in a medium size city without an airline hub and 2) it is a frequent flier ticket. I look at retail tickets too and couldn't really find a reasonably priced route that involved better connections or better transit times, so I went with free. I'm going Raleigh to JFK, JFK to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Singapore where I will overnight and join my travel companions from Singapore to Bali in the morning (this portion I have to pay for as I couldn't get a ff seat). On the way back I go to Tokyo instead of Hong Kong and everything else is the same.

I tried to route to Barcelona or Frankfurt to travel with my travel companions, but that made the connections awful.

Now if I felt like paying through the nose for it, I would go to New York and fly Singapore Airlines directly to Singapore and then on to Bali, but that is a business class only direct flight out of New York. I'm not that rich.

What is yours like?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information