Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Diving Luggage

TadPole

Purpose of Diving Luggage

I have not traveled with my own gear yet as I am new to diving so I do not have this experience yet but what is the purpose of diving luggage? Could you not just use luggage that you already own? I have seen some nice looking bags online but they are just under or over $200 and so it seems like it could be a waste of money to buy a suitcase that is meant only for diving gear if a regular suitcase would work. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Scuba gear is going to be wet... most standard suitcases or bags are not necessarily going to be rust proof. And dive bigs are setup for the different gear, like dedicated pockets that fit fins, etc.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Yep, what Larry said.

My Oceanic bags have a plastic liner, vent holes, and large roller wheels on stainless steel rods. Saltwater and cheap luggage is a bad combo.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Shark
    But you can also buy a lot of cheap luggage for what some of the even lesser expensive dive bags cost. Not to mention they almost scream "I have something really expensive inside me."

I have had no issues with standard luggage and packing dive gear. To travel though, I have to mix dive gear with clothes in the same bags in order to come in under weight...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

I've always used my standard Delsey suitcases for all my dive trips. Have never had a problem. The gear is usually fairly dry before I pack, but if I'm concerned, I just pack the dirty clothes around it anyway. The luggage gets a good airing when we get home, and a quick spray with Lysol.

Besides dive luggage being on the expensive side, I also don't like the idea of advertising what's in my bag with a big old dive company logo... I think it ups the chance of things disappearing in transit.

Funeral Jorunna
    I use a nylon duffel bag. Lightweight and if it gets wet I can wash and dry it easily.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Shark
    Images
    Agree with all here.

I am not prepared to buy all new luggage right now, so I
    carry a good sized dry bag with me when I travel, put gear in there and put the dry bag in my suitcase.
    Not ideal, and it adds weight and bulk of course, but will do for now.

The idea of paying for baggage on most airlines really gets to me, but I made the mistake of not packing my fins and a few other things on last trip to Carribean, big mistake, I should have paid for the extra bag and brought all my own gear!

Sine Timore!

Grouper
    At the moment I have a cheap walmart roller bag ($20) that fits my bc fins 3mm wetsuit, regs. This is a very handy bag for rolling onto a dive boat without taking up alot of space. I then pack it into a large suitcase when I travel by air. The inner roller bag seems to protect the outer case from water damage and the outside case protects the soft roller case from baggage handlers. I have only been using this set up for two years but so far so good.
    People who look good with a mask on are usually ugly without one.

Grouper
    Images
    agree with what many have said:

rolling duffel bags work great...and can be had for around 20 bucks. They may or may not last as long as some of the tougher bags, but they are easier to replace.

Typically when I go diving we are trying to get 2 x bc, 2 x fins, 2 x wetsuits, etc into one checked bag (and just under 50lbs). So to get 2 sets of gear into one bag I broke down and bought something, but not something dive specific...I spent about $1000 on a rolling duffell that is about twice as wide as most rolling duffels.

I've had it a couple of years - it's still working ok. Then again, I go on maybe 3 trips a year with it.

If I was only packing gear for one, I'de run down to target or walmart with one of my fins and find a 20 dollar rolling duffel that my gear fit in.

I guess it's worth mentioning, I don't use my rolling duffel bag anywhere near the boat or water. I pack a couple of mesh backpacks that we use to tote our gear on/off the dive boat daily. Now those things are worth the 20-30 bucks I paid for them.
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Grouper
    Images
    LMAO - ummm, that's $100 spent on the bag, not $1000.

Jeez it's friday.
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information