Thread: Rorschach's STX Trip May 1-12, 2010

Guppy

Rorschach's STX Trip May 1-12, 2010

Flew Delta from New Orleans through connection in Atlanta to St. Croix. Sero hassles, and our incoming flight parked snd deplaned at the gate adjacent our outgoing plane! I took time to splurge on a big coffee at Starbucks and we split some Cinnabon.

Villa 2dive4 is great for divers. However, being close to full moon, seems there's more surge than prior trips. No big deal. Did short half tank dusk shore dive at Cane Bay last night and a nicely sunlit afternoon oday where encountered a 7' to 8' black tip shark at 108 fsw along the Cane Bay wall,

More to come as our trip progresses, but I thought this was too cool not to dhare.
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Guppy
    Dove Seamount via RIB yesterday. Started out in slight, almost non-existant current towards the mooring buoy to the seamount. When we rounded the seamount it became a rip-snorting current. My wife's strobe flash link thingie on her u/w camera evidently was loose during our Seamount dive so no good pics there. Seas were 5' swells.

Had a nice surface interval and did a buddy team night dive at Cane Bay. Highlights were a sea pen in the sand flats (we'd only encountered and photographed one other, on St. Eustatius), a large (for its species) red banded lobster, speck clawed decorator crabs, cryptic teardrop crabs, and giant basket stars ranging from less than the size of my hand to humongous, and a new-to-us color variation of a young furry sea cucumber. Most of the night dive pics came out pretty well.
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Megalodon
    Images
    Every dive is a good dive, sounds like you're having a great time. Have fun!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark
    wish i could be there... went diving here in st thomas yesterday... good, not as good as st croix tho... wish i could spend more time on the forums, but my hard drive is dying in my laptop, so ive been stuck using my psp for internet access, which works but sucks...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Guppy
    My wife has been organizing and labeling her photos, we'll post a full trip report once those are available to share.

My wife got 3 spots on her face stung in the shallows returning from our night dive. The next buddy team night dive, she'd already surfaced but I was still submerged about 10 feet when suddenly the box jellyfish caribdya alata was recognizable directly in front of me!

Did I mention i was so zoned out in need of a vacation I forgot to pack my 0.5 mm wetsuit and was renting a 2.5 mm shortie from the kindly folks at Cane Bay? This was undoubtatbly what hit my wife, she had her 5 MM full suit and has long hair, and wound up with spots on one cheek and one spot along the ridge line of her upper lip.

I swam around the thing and turned off my dive light so it wouldn't follow me, swam some more closer to shore, then surfaced and discussed this with my wife. She said the 'sea wasp' nickname was absolutely appropriate as each hit she took felt like being stung by a wasp, and I'll take her word for it!

It was amazing I actually visually made out what it was before running into it as it was abolutely colorless and swimming horizontally; the one other carybdea alata we saw was on Bonaire and had pinkish kinda salmon colored tentacles. This was also in about 10 fsw on a night dive on Bonaire.

No pics of the one I saw on St. Croix since my wife has the camera.

Hereout, even when wearing full wetsuits, I'm gonna slather some Safe Sea on my exposed skin. Just another reminder we're aliens in the water!

Guppy
    My wife is finished with our U/W photos, she'll work on the above water pics next.

See link below if interested.

R

St. Croix 2010 May 1-12

Thread Information