Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying while Diving

Pirate defenses can make other situation tolerable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    The attached image is from the Disco Volante's security camera.

I walked into the wheel-house, and lo and behold, there was this freaking pirate beating up the Captain. You can see in the photo where he had me in a sort-of choke-hold.

But, I took care of him. No sweat.

Is that a VT3? How did it hold up in the scuffle? I have been looking at those but wondered about pirate attacks. I also thought of those VEO 100 NX for $170 that way if I damage it when thrawting off a pirate, it would not be so bad on the pocketbook. I like the free flow distraction technique. Nice move. Old school but affective. I've used that technique once before to lure DMs to the back of the boat so I can have unristricted access to the head one time in the sea of Cortez after having some bad sushi.

Barracuda Founding Member
    The rounds I have pulled apart were 7.62. There was a lacquer seal on the bullet as well as a crimp and lacquer seal on the primer.

As for pistols underwater. As long as the air pockets are all out of it, it can be done. I have seen a report of an expirment with a 1911 in a swimming pool and it worked fine (although velocity is significantly reduced.) It's when you get above the water that you could have issues.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michijim View Post
    By the way, the hand gun won't help you when the nose cone of a top secret missle falls on you in 100 feet of water. Ha.
    I have some of those...

I promise to use them only on Pirates...
    Excellent!

Grouper
    I actually almost always dive with a .40 Glock when I am doing law enforcement patrol. I dive hotspots where evidence is often disposed of while I am on the water. I won't leave my weapon unattended on a boat when I am diving.

I use a lanyard to prevent loss and most of my diving is less than 20 feet deep in fresh water. Here are some issues I have with it.

I carry Ranger LE ammo and have found you need to change it after each trip. Last time I tried to shoot the ammo I had a high failure rate. About half my rounds failed to fire and one was a squib load. This ammo had been on multiple dives prior to shooting it.

I have had other multiple dives with other ammo and had no misfires. This was with a different gun and the ammo was subsonic 9mm ammo.

I am a Glock armorer and use maritime cups in my gun that vent water from the firing pin channel. This keeps the water from interfering with the forward motion of the firing pin. Water is not compressible. I do not plan to shoot my pistol underwater but I often kayak or wade when working and I don't want to worry about water in the firing pin channel.

Ranger ammo, formerly called Black Talon, is hollow point ammo. This ammo should never be fired underwater as it can cause the bullet to expand in the barrel and cause it to obstruct the barrel and an explosion can occur.

A good cleaning is required after a dive and replace the ammo.

Shark
    Crimediver,
    Hi! I haven't seen you on the forum in awhile. Glad you are back.

Quick hypothetical question: Should a diver come across something that looks like evidence of a crime (a weapon, remains, etc.), what should the diver do? Try to mark the scene? Or just leave it and report it to the police?

Guppy
    If I were to sling my MP5, does DIR have any specific rules regarding this? I suspect that they disallow the MP5, but favor the MP45 as long as it's slung on the right.

Being that lead shot is illegal for water foul hunting, does this law extend to underwater shooting?

Barracuda Founding Member
    zoey,

You have it wrong, an MP5 is NOT DIR. Only black powder weapons are DIR.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Shark
    An MP5 could possibly be considered DIR, but everyone that you could ever possibly dive with has to be able to use it. And, you need two: A primary, and an alternate with its muzzle sticking through surgical tubing around your neck.

Guppy
    Would the Surefire need to be at least an 18 Watt? LED or halogen? If I tape an extra clip (upside down) on the clip being used, do I need DIR tape?

Man is this stressful! I was so concerned about drowning that I bought 2 BP's/W.

New warning: IF YOU DON'T SLING A SUBGUN TO YOUR BP/W, YOU WILL DROWN!

Grouper
    I thought DIR would have said that the MP5 was not enough, and went for something with a little more "bang" for the just in case thing... something like this maybe....

Mk 19 grenade launcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~Recon

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information