Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this considered solo-diving? (another case)

Guppy

Is this considered solo-diving? (another case)

Our home association's pool opened May 1. Since then I've been there everyday, early in the morning when there is nobody around, just swimming around, getting comfortable in the water, reviewing the skills, and just hang out in the water. I intentionally pick times when there is nobody around, so not to get in the way of others. I imagine many women swimmers would feel uncomfortable being seen so clearly underwater.

Even though I'm in the comfort of my own home pool, is this a type of solo-diving that should be avoided?
    Last edited by sfbluestar; 05-12-2010 at 11:31.

If you're comfortable swimming solo in a pool, then I say continue. Anyone who spends the extra time and effort to improve their knowledge and skills is someone that I would be happy to dive with.
    Chilly

Quote Originally Posted by sfbluestar View Post
    I imagine many women swimmers would feel uncomfortable being seen so clearly underwater.
    The problem will be when you bring a submersible camera.

Sorry I couldnt resist.

I dont know the answer to your question since its in a pool, but its all fun and excellent practice.

its great to see you practicing. I'd dive with you. You seem very safe and prepared.

Grouper
    I wouldn't consider this solo diving:
    1) Confined, not open water
    2) Max depth ~12 feet? Worst possible case 6' swim to the surface after you stand up
    3) Clear, conditioned water.

I, like the others, would consider this a great move by someone who is obviously passionate about diving and wants to get more comfortable underwater and with their gear. For that you should be applauded! Wish more people were as conscientious as you!

Grouper
    I would have to agree with the others, in a pool less than 12' deep you are probably not going to have any issues as long as you're careful and don't use non ditchable lead.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

Megalodon
    Images
    Not solo: confined area, shallow, minimal risk. You did of course carry a redundant air systems thogh, right?

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Why would this not be solo diving, despite the extremely low level of risk? It seems to me that if you're underwater breathing compressed air then you're diving, and if you're alone then it's solo. The confined/unconfined thing seems like a semantic difference at most (and, as a silly digression, how small can a lake be before it's 'confined'?).

I would do what the OP describes without a second thought, and I'd even log it if I learned something important, but my answer to the question as stated is that it is a form of solo diving, but necessarily one to be avoided...

Megalodon
    Images
    I would not consider this a solo dive as almost anyone could enter the water and pull oyu up if you had the sowrst case scenario problem. Now, if you snuck into the pool at 3 am and no one was around, you might call it solo....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I wouldn't consider it a solo dive any more than I would consider it a loggable dive. I would be more inclined to call it an equipment check more than anything else. Be that as it may, if you are comfortable with doing it, I see no problem.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.

Grouper
    Images
    I think it is low risk, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to pop up like a cork from 12' regardless. Be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information