Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cavern Diving (PADI)

TadPole

Cavern Diving (PADI)

Does anyone know what specific equipment is required in order to obtain the PADI Cavern Diver specialty certification. I understand that there are particular items that are suggested, but I am concerned with what is actually required with regard to obtaining this certification. If there are any PADI instructors out there that happen to teach for this certification, I'd appreciate it if they'd chime in with their thoughts. Thanks!

TadPole
    Attention MODERATOR: Please move this thread out of the "regulator" section. I mistakenly posted it here. Thanks!

TadPole
    I would like to point out that I have reviewed the PADI website and seen that they list the following as required: "Basic Scuba Gear, lights, lines & reels"

I just can't imagine that's the extent of it - no hose length requirements, etc...

Barracuda
    B Lo,

Do yourself a favor and skip PADI for cavern. While I am sure there are some good instructors out there - all it takes to be one is a Full Cave cert plus OWSI to teach it.

If you want to learn Cavern diving, look to one of the Cave Diving agencies. NACD, NSS-CDS etc. There you will get a look at cave/cavern diving in a more holistic sense. Those instructors are OWSI's and then peer reviewed prior to becoming cave instructors. GUE is another option but they start with Cave 1 which is more of cavern/intro rather than only cavern.

Shark
    Cavern is still very recreational when taught through PADI...

Cavern is an overhead environment, but not a tightly confined one, nor do you go past the ambient light zone...

It is really just an intro to the theory behind cave diving, and should not be construed as a ticket to go into a real cave past where you can see ambient light...

There are no hose length requirements because you won't be going through any passageways that would require a single file air share... There are also no requirements as far as redundant gas. Like I said, its purely recreational...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Guppy
    I don't know where in Florida you are, but you're probably not all that far from cave country. I'd suggest taking your course from one of the cave agencies, rather than PADI.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Maybe I had an exceptional instructor. When I took PADI cavern we had to have 2 lights, 2 reels and a 5' or 7' primary hose.

We did air sharing drills with and without masks and sharing air in single file with and without masks.

We did land based line drills blindfolded and use "A Blueprint for Survival" as our text for the course.

This was 4-5 years ago. It was PADI. Maybe I had an exceptional instructor, or maybe PADI is just really easy to slam because they are the biggest.

I bet SSI, NAUI, AINTD, or any other agency would catch the same flack if they were the same sized.

If you are not ready to bite off doing full cave, find a really good cavern instructor from any agency and do the course. At the least, you will learn the limits to hopefully not die in a cave as an OW diver.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Grouper
    Images
    As Mitsuguy already pointed out, any cavern class is a recreational class. When I took mine we had already been diving doubles and a long hose. Our instructor made us take our long hoses off and use the standard recreational gear configuration, minus the snorkel. As far as lights go, a canister light is by far the best option. If you can not buy one or borrow one then any larger handheld will do. Reels, you shouldnt need to go out and buy a reel our instructor provided that for our cavern class. Any of the cave classes you are expected to have them. Your instructor should be able to let you know if he will provide one or if you have to. I would also drift away from PADI for your cavern class. NACD, NSS-CDS are far better.

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by B Lo View Post
    Attention MODERATOR: Please move this thread out of the "regulator" section. I mistakenly posted it here. Thanks!

Sure thing
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    You're best bet is to talk to several instructors. Ask them about gear requirements, and gear recommendations. Ask them about what is covered in thier course, and what books they require.

Don't choose the instructor that is the easiest, and don't choose based on price.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information