Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cavern Diving (PADI)

Megalodon
    Images
    I'm probably taking a cavern course this summer...I'll make a determinaton after that....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I'm probably taking a cavern course this summer...I'll make a determinaton after that....
    You need to use SLIM as your instructor. He's great, and diving at Roubidoux is great (when the weather works)
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    You need to use SLIM as your instructor. He's great, and diving at Roubidoux is great (when the weather works)
    Medicdiver and I are going to take it with Kevin Runker. I've not taken a class from him, but Jeff gave him great reviews with his Deep Tech. I'm thinking Cavern will be good enough for me as far as overhead...I don't think I'm anywhere near ready for full cave. Man's got to know his limitations.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    Thanks to all who responded. To answer some of the questions that have been posed, I am located in Central Florida - off the I-4 corridor. I am sometimes in the northern part of the state, though, so cave country isn't terribly far. Roubidoux is, however, a bit too far for me to travel. ;-) I am definitely not interested in cave diving and just want a tiny exposure to cavern diving. Hence, since the PADI course seems less involved, I thought it might suit my needs and budget more so than some of the more established and involved caving groups.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by B Lo View Post
    Thanks to all who responded. To answer some of the questions that have been posed, I am located in Central Florida - off the I-4 corridor. I am sometimes in the northern part of the state, though, so cave country isn't terribly far. Roubidoux is, however, a bit too far for me to travel. ;-) I am definitely not interested in cave diving and just want a tiny exposure to cavern diving. Hence, since the PADI course seems less involved, I thought it might suit my needs and budget more so than some of the more established and involved caving groups.
    To be blunt - your rationale is off base. Cavern diving, while done in rec context - is still overhead diving. If you want to do it, please learn to do it right and make the effort to understand its implications.

To put things in perspective - think of a CESA for an OOA emergency. In OW, its not pleasant but doable. In a cavern, you might have to go 70-80' horizontally before you can go vertical in the water.

If you venture into an overhead (which cavern is very clearly), I'd think divers would want the best training possible.

As for cost - my Cavern (many many years ago) was only $150 through the NACD. A bargain for what I learned. You are so close to cave country, I can't imagine why you would *not* seek out the best instructors for this. Some quite literally 'wrote the book' - why compromise with a PADI class. I don't say this to demean PADI, I say it because the best instructors teach for the Cave agencies in this class, not PADI. (they might teach PADI OW/AOW classes though)

Grouper
    The cavern class is a little more than $150 now. I looked at the "serious" cave instructors and paid $300 for my cavern class. It was worth every nickel. My instructor was a NSS-CDS/IANTD cave instructor with over 20 years experience in caves.

What I learned was proper equipment setup, fine buoyancy control,reel work, and most importantly safety. My dive buddy, who is a PADI instructor, was certified by PADI to teach the cavern class after we finished full cave. No other requirements except for $60 to get his "C" card.

My buddy is a good instructor but my cavern/cave instructor had much more experience. My advice is to take the class from a local expert. There are many great instructors in the North Florida area. If you would like the info on my cavern/cave instructor just PM me.
    Life is tough, but it is even tougher if you are stupid

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken View Post
    My advice is to take the class from a local expert. There are many great instructors in the North Florida area. If you would like the info on my cavern/cave instructor just PM me.
    Totally agree with that.

My cave instructor had been diving caves for at least 30 years. I liked that. Either do overhead diving properly or dont do it at all.This stuff can kill you if you mess up.

Also happy to give info/suggestions by PM

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post
    To be blunt - your rationale is off base. Cavern diving, while done in rec context - is still overhead diving. If you want to do it, please learn to do it right and make the effort to understand its implications.

To put things in perspective - think of a CESA for an OOA emergency. In OW, its not pleasant but doable. In a cavern, you might have to go 70-80' horizontally before you can go vertical in the water.

If you venture into an overhead (which cavern is very clearly), I'd think divers would want the best training possible.

As for cost - my Cavern (many many years ago) was only $150 through the NACD. A bargain for what I learned. You are so close to cave country, I can't imagine why you would *not* seek out the best instructors for this. Some quite literally 'wrote the book' - why compromise with a PADI class. I don't say this to demean PADI, I say it because the best instructors teach for the Cave agencies in this class, not PADI. (they might teach PADI OW/AOW classes though)
    .... several padi instructors teach for all the other agencies. One of the oldest nacd/nss instructors teaches padi cave.

The instructor crossovers have gotten stupid. You teach for 1 agency and within 2 months you teach for them all. I guess every agency wants some money to cut cards.

And let's get real, its not like the nss-cds or nacd are getting real tight on standards, you've got to hunt for the right instructor with every agency, except maybe UTD/GUE.
    http://jamesg.net
    -James Garrett

Instructor, Technical & Cave Diver "Forum Admin" TommyB's Avatar
    Images
    If you are in NFL or CFL (North Florida / Central Florida) I would post over here
    Cave Diver's Forum - The Cave Diver's Forum Front Page and ask some of your cavern questions. Most, if not all of the Instructors (at least the ones that teach everyday) that teach Cave and Cavern, etc hang out there.

I'm sure you'll find one that fits your needs, budget, etc over there.

I would skip the whole padi cavern thing and go with NACD or NSS/CDS cavern

If you want more info on NACD
    NACD Training
    and
    NSS/CDS
    NSS-CDS Training Programs | National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section
    Tommy Burchfield Naui/TDI/SDI
    if ( $clue == \'none\' ) { read ( sig & avatar rules | forum rules ) && search ( forums | google ) }
    if ( $answer == 0 ){ post->question }

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    .... several padi instructors teach for all the other agencies. One of the oldest nacd/nss instructors teaches padi cave.

The instructor crossovers have gotten stupid. You teach for 1 agency and within 2 months you teach for them all. I guess every agency wants some money to cut cards.

And let's get real, its not like the nss-cds or nacd are getting real tight on standards, you've got to hunt for the right instructor with every agency, except maybe UTD/GUE.
    I wasn't aware PADI still teaches cave? I thought they dropped that in favor of only Cavern....

As for instructors and standards - its up to the student to find the right match. I still think that you have a better shot of getting a good instructor if you get on who teaches in North Florida for one of the major Cave agencies. They can also teach PADI stuff - its just I think the instructor process for NACD and NSS-CDS is a good vetting process to ensure that the one of those instructors was competent - at least when they became an instructor. PADI lacks the peer review in their process. I believe for them its Full cave certified+$25+OWSI to teach it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information