Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back/Leg Pain

Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    Ok, so I have had back pain for the last few months, specifically the lower back and under. Lately, it has moved to my left leg. My back is now fine, but I can barely move my left leg at this point. It is possible that it is psychological (a good 40% likely), based on what has been going on lately. The doctor said it is because I weigh too much, but I have actually been losing weight as it started getting worse, so I am not sure. Any ideas? Keeping in mind we can't afford chiropractors, physiotherapists, what-have-you.
    Bennerman,

Check out the Back Attack Negotiator on my wife's web site. You'll have to subscribe to get the video, but it's still free.

The Spine Care & Back Pain 101 videos on this page will also help you understand what's going on with your back and how it affects your legs.

I hope this helps you out.
    Chilly

Shark
    The next appointment isn't until F***ing July 5th :/
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

If an anti-inflammatory knocks down the pain I am betting on disc compression or some other compression on a nerve (probably the sciatica). An MRI might not catch it if the problem is in the piriformis but it is the first thing to rule out.

Shark
    This is actually why I bought webbed gloves, incase this is something perminant
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaBoxer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingCRNA View Post
    you have L3-4 or L4-5 bulging into the foramen causing your leg pain.
    That's what I have, pain in my lower back, but only a "loss of sensation" in my right leg. Went to the chiropractor for 15 sessions and did absolutely no good. Saw my normal Dr and he sent me for an MRI which clearly showed the damage. My Dr then sent me to a neurosurgeon who made the diagnosis and gave my options for treatment. First he prescribed Ultracet (pain reliever) and Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) and physical therapy. I still felt discomfort. Neither of the drugs did much for me so I quit taking them after a month and tried to just "live with it" for a while.

Due to my active lifestyle, and the inability to exercise normally due to the discomfort, I went back to my normal Dr a couple months after stopping the meds prescribed by the neurosurgeon. After explaining how the first meds did me no good, and that I'd stopped taking them, he prescribed Celebrex for me. Been on it about a month now and although I still have the loss of sensation in my right leg, I'm much more comfortable as long as I don't overdo it.

In my case, my normal Dr explained that it was doing me no good to take the muscle relaxers as my injury is not muscle related. As others have said, go see a Dr and most likely you'll end up getting an MRI that will help in diagnosing the problem. One thing I can recommend is ICE. The therapist emphasized that I should be icing my back each evening while watching tv or relaxing and this helped me tremendously. My wife bought a refreezable pack that has an elastic strap. The strap wraps around your waist, and then it velcro's to itself. I wrap it around my back each night while reading or watching TV for about an hour before bed time. Helps a lot.
    Where in OK are you? Come to Lamar, MO and get some epidural steroid injections from me.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Shark
    my mom was told to do back exercises for her injury, should I do likewise?

Shark
    I hope your opinion is enough to convince her, CRNA. Much oblidged

Don't do any significant exercising in that area until you figure out what is wrong. In some cases exercise will work, in others it can just makes things worse.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information