Thread: Scapa on the Karin may 2010

TadPole

Scapa on the Karin may 2010

The trip up was ok, overcast and cool and after loading all the dive kit on the Karin we then put out dry kit in a double cabin each as there were only seven of us. We then set up the rebreathers for the next day and met the rest of the crew in the Ferry Inn.

The divers were Myself (inspo classic), Meeko (inspo classic), The not unimpressive Chris (inspo vision), Keith (inspo vision), Dave (inspo vision), Gary (Sentinel) and American Bob (Meg).

The first shakedown dive on the SMS Konig went well. The viz was about 10m, depth 38m and runtime 80 min. Meeko and American Bob were doing a longer runtime and this was going to be a pattern for the rest of the week. The sea state was nearly flat calm and it was a lovely sunny day which only got better for the rest of the week. Some days the sea was so flat when seals came up for a breath they left rings on the surface. On later dives Chris, Garry and Dave used scooters which you could hear every now and then as they zipped by. We also dived the SMS Markgraf, this is my fav dive in the flow.

The next few dives were on the SMS Konig and after reaching the bottom of the shot line which was connected on the top of the wreck at about 20m from the stern, I noticed rob had put a strobe at 35m on the side of the wreck on another line from the shot to the sea bed. This was a great ref point on the way back to the shot, keeping to 35m on the way back it was easy to see the strobe and I knew it would be there on the way back as rob and meek had planned and was doing longer run times than me, a lot longer. The connecting line down the side to the sea was close to wreckage on the sea bed which had some small swim through’s. There was a hatch at the stern where I found a nice wee swim through where there were small holes to the outside of the wreck which kept a bit of light and as I had borrowed a torch I felt safer here. SMS Konig Finstrokes divesites
    I never penetrated the SMS Markgraf as I was solo diving, but had a good dive on the seabed the full length of her. I saw the main guns which are under the wreck, they are in a large cavern like area which is light and open and no chance of getting lost. On the seabed Just off the wreck you can see the spotting top and mast about 10m from the wreck. On the way back to the shot I saw the casement guns about 3m up from the seabed, I came back ascending to the strobe depth and as always a smile would come to my face when I found it, doing my first stop at 26m. At this depth most of the divers met except for Rob and Meeko who were finding new areas inside the wreck and doing longer run times. SMS Markgraf Finstrokes divesites

American Bob brought plans for the Konig class battleships so we had a better idea of where we were diving. The plans are very detailed showing all the rooms on all the decks and a key to show what each room was. He stuck a paper copy on the wall and marked where on the wreck he had been (will add them to the dive guides later).
    My Kit worked worked flawlessly for all the dives except for my torch but Chris (great guy) lent me a Kawalski, Thanks Chris. Meeko having just got his VR£ back from repair had the screen go blank at 10m but worked well on the surface. American bob lent him an Explorer for the rest of the week. Dave had a problem with his vision and Gary lent a vision head to him. Chris had a cell failure which was replaced in no time at all. On the Karin John also keeps a spare vision and classic head, lime and cylinders, 3,5 7 and 10s for people who want to keep there weight down on trips.
    I was hoping to do some wide angle shots of the wrecks but 10m viz is not good enough, but some of the guys got pics of the dives. One morning the viz was nearly 20m and nobody took in their cameras, Murphy’s law kicking in. Meeko and American bob did a run time of approx 2 hours on this dive.
    Having a rebreather Instructor like Gary on board showed us the Pre and post dive preparations you need to do on this sort of diving, Most of us tried to emulate him in every way, but we are not Instructors yet. I will always remember the post dive preps for the next day and will try to introduce this into my diving.
    We had a night in Longhope, Hoy and the local pub put on a barby for us with enough food to choke a horse. The not unimpressive Chris was having a hard time impressing the barman with his magic but held court showing the rest of the pub his magic. The local girls were not wanting to be hypnotised as they thought he was going to interfere with them…..LOL. A great night and a lot of fun. We also had a night at Lyness in the local pub close to the famous Lyness museum where we learned rope tricks and how to skate board in the pub (no serious injuries). The dive trips on the Karin are always great and this was just another why bother with the red sea when you can have diving like this.
    American Bob

Meeko

Gary

Dave

Chris
    YBOD and happy snapper.

Megalodon
    Images
    Totally cool! Scapa Flow is on my wish list. Just have to get my tec cert, my rebreather sert and probably trimix cert first....oh for the want of $$$$.$$ or should that be ££££££?

Thanks for the post and report and making me salivate all over my keyboard. I don't know what I would have done if you posted uw picts....cry would have been an option.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

INCREDIBLE dive report. I would love to see any of the u/w photos you guys took. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
    Chilly

TadPole
    You dont have to to be trimix rebreather certified....divers dive the battleships on a 12L with air....a lot shorter bottom times though, generally 12 min and 10 min deco.
    YBOD and happy snapper.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    INCREDIBLE dive report. I would love to see any of the u/w photos you guys took. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
    As requested

Armour plating falling off...

An inviting door

On the deco stops...

YBOD and happy snapper.

Ding,

Great photos - keep and posts and the pictures coming!

Thanks again,
    Chilly

Thread Information