Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to tech

I just finished my pool session for my Tech class and it was a great experience. I agree with everything mentioned as far as skills with trim and buoyancy control.

CHECK YOUR GEAR! Make sure everything is clipped off and streamlined. Get some cave line, bolt snaps and bungee cord, look of your rig and if looks like it could be a hazard, secure!

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas911diver View Post
    I just finished my pool session for my Tech class and it was a great experience. I agree with everything mentioned as far as skills with trim and buoyancy control.

CHECK YOUR GEAR! Make sure everything is clipped off and streamlined. Get some cave line, bolt snaps and bungee cord, look of your rig and if looks like it could be a hazard, secure!
    I jut picked up a few ft. of bungee and bolt snaps. Where can you find loose caveline? I would rather keep my spool full of line.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmccoy View Post
    I jut picked up a few ft. of bungee and bolt snaps. Where can you find loose caveline? I would rather keep my spool full of line.
    Most spools can handle losing a couple feet, but if you insist you may want to see if your LTS (local tec store) has some. It's not DIR but you could go to Lowe's/Home Depot and get some mason line.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas911diver View Post

Don't know anywhere you can buy just a few feet. Usually you looking at 500' or more. That's alot of line for tying off a few bolt snaps and such. I just dedicated a spool for such things As was mentioned a few feet off a reel will not make much difference and most reels could loose a few feet anyway. Reeling back in a full spool underwater is tough with new reel that's full.

I bought my last thing of extra line at BTS this year and can't remember who it was from. I know divegearexpress sell it.

Grouper
    Images
    I will just clip some off of a spool. I will stop by cave adventureres the day before the course and pick up a few misc things. I'm sure I can pick up a few feet from them then.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Most spools can handle losing a couple feet, but if you insist you may want to see if your LTS (local tec store) has some. It's not DIR but you could go to Lowe's/Home Depot and get some mason line.
    +1 on both.

mrmccoy - Most spools are overloaded. I usually cut 10'-15' off mine right away when I get one. I also use mason line from Home Depot. Make sure it's the braided poly line, not the twisted. If you're really concerned shoot me a PM, I'll mail you a bunch of line.

You can practice the motion for frog kicks while laying on your living room floor. This also helps you to get a feel for being horizontal. You can also practice bouyancy and trim skills anytime you are in the water, regardless of who you are diving with or what type of dive it is. Whenever you stop to look at anything is a great opportunity to check your bouyancy control (also maintain depth while finning). Then when you make your safety stop at the end of the dive try to hover horizontally while maintaining depth and not holding the line or having to grab it at all. This is harder for most than they'd think it would be. Don't forget to have fun.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I will just clip some off of a spool. I will stop by cave adventureres the day before the course and pick up a few misc things. I'm sure I can pick up a few feet from them then.
    Cave Adventures has always been good to me.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    +1 on both.

mrmccoy - Most spools are overloaded. I usually cut 10'-15' off mine right away when I get one. I also use mason line from Home Depot. Make sure it's the braided poly line, not the twisted. If you're really concerned shoot me a PM, I'll mail you a bunch of line.

You can practice the motion for frog kicks while laying on your living room floor. This also helps you to get a feel for being horizontal. You can also practice bouyancy and trim skills anytime you are in the water, regardless of who you are diving with or what type of dive it is. Whenever you stop to look at anything is a great opportunity to check your bouyancy control (also maintain depth while finning). Then when you make your safety stop at the end of the dive try to hover horizontally while maintaining depth and not holding the line or having to grab it at all. This is harder for most than they'd think it would be. Don't forget to have fun.
    thanks jackhammer! I have always worked on bouyancy but horzontal has been a little problem untill I went the bp/w route. That helped a ton but I have only been able to dive it a handful of times. The instructor told me the class is along the lines of a GUE fundies class so it should give me a good foundation to build on. He is also a cave instructor but makes as many or more personal dives as he does training dives. I want to do cavern in the future if my skills are up to par!

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    +1 on both.

thanks jackhammer! I have always worked on bouyancy but horzontal has been a little problem untill I went the bp/w route. That helped a ton but I have only been able to dive it a handful of times. The instructor told me the class is along the lines of a GUE fundies class so it should give me a good foundation to build on. He is also a cave instructor but makes as many or more personal dives as he does training dives. I want to do cavern in the future if my skills are up to par!
    It's a great class, just got back today from a week with Rob. Sidemount and ITT back to back. Lot's of fun you will enjoy it. OBTW Cave Adventurers will take care of you, Edd is a great guy.

Grouper
    Images
    Wheelman: I have yet to hear a bad word about him! He tried to get me in the class you were in but my schedule wouldn't allow it. Did you do everything at Morrison and vortex?

They took care of me at CA. my order got put in a corner somewhere and I talked to them on a Saturday once it had been over a week since I ordered. They shipped it out saturday and I had it Monday

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information