Thread: Athens Scuba Park

TadPole

Athens Scuba Park

Does anyone know the condition of athens? I am looking for a place to take a junior diver. Dove Athens 8 years ago but heard it was closed last year. We are coming from Kansas and shallow and warmer for a new diver.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    You might be a bit happier with ClearSpringsScubaPark.com

We have a big pavilion there, do classes every weekend, and it is clearer, has fish, over all we have found it a nicer facility.

TadPole
    We had a bad experience there a couple years ago.

Grouper
    A bad exp at CSSP? May I ask what it entailed?

~Recon
    ~Recon

TadPole
    A minor incident that was blown out of proportion by an unprofessional (IMO) divemaster/instructor. Two of the divers with me were burning off the last of their tank on a big platform. A divemaster came down and they left, but when they surfaced the guy followed them chewing them out for being on a reserved platform. There weren't any signs (above or below the water), they didn't have a float on the platform and my divers moved off when another diver came. I wasn't right with them but there was no signs that they had kicked up silt or doing something wrong. The guy said as much but continued to rip that we should have known that it was a reserved area. I don't know what company he was with, it was mid-afternoon and we were heading out (7 hour drive back) and didn't take time to complain. I read after the fact on scubaboard, that ours wasn't the only time it has happened. In my eight years of diving, I have never seen anything like it. If territory is protected that tightly, I don't want to dive there. I have been to Athens a couple times and never had a problem, we went to tenkiller last year but viz was terrible. I have a junior diver that I would like for him to have a good experience and warmer water.

Barracuda
    Images
    that sounds like an a-hole DM/Instructor. not the park.

i tell you what - if some dude ever comes up to me and starts to gripe me out like that, i will end him. what a douche.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

TadPole
    It was an individual not the company. But it was a situation for a newer diver that I want to avoid from happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by mlhaist View Post
    It was an individual not the company. But it was a situation for a newer diver that I want to avoid from happening again.
    id be willing to bet that wouldnt ever happen again. ive played on all those platforms and did what you did, and never had anyone say a word to me.

TadPole
    We dove Athens on Saturday, CSSP on Sunday. Athens was warm, 82 at depth but viz was less than 5 ft. They said there was heavy rains and gave us free passes to come back.

CSSP had better visibility but was cold at depth. Enjoyed the both places and plan to return in August.

Thread Information