Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gear for solo

Grouper
    I was under the impression you meant snorkeling, not using compressed air.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    you know your real good about summing it up quick and easy.I know I ant ready but dam I want to be wet. I answered the questions more to find out if I knew what was up and see if you thought I was right or close. Not to say well that means I am ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Time yourself on this situation: (this is for bigman, no help from the peanut gallery please )

You're at 55', 20 minutes into a planned 30 minute dive. your primary is an AL80 with a starting pressure of 2900 psi
    1. How much gas should you use on this dive? well given I used a 130 steel hp in 30 minutes I would think I would be out of air at 20 minutes on a al80

You've taken a SWAG - Not good enough-it can get you killed. You need to know your SAC and calculate your cu ft needs and then convert to your psi. For me, this dive will take 62 cu ft given my RMV. with an AL80, I do not have an adequete reserve-even though I have a 40 cf pony.

2. What should the psi in you tank be at the 22 min point? 800psi I think

You can't think, you should know. Given my profile for this dive, I should have 1100 psi left in the tank. if it's less, I need to turn the dive sooner and tweak my profile and plans.

3. What is your minimum cu ft of reserve gas? 10cf

For this dive, I need 62 cu ft. that means I need a reserve of 21 cu ft. Since this means my total gas needs for this dive is 83 cu ft. That means I will cut it short by 5 minutes to stay in the safe zone.

4. What is your redundant gas system? a indepent reg on a pony properly 20cf maybe 30cf. A pony indepent with indepent doubles would be nice

As you can see, you need at least a 21cf so a 30 cf pony is your minimum. Personally, I use a 40 so I know no matter what my rec depth, I've got an adequate back up. As for independant doubles: One tank is your back up so you don't necessarily need a pony. BUT that second tank of the doubles is not considered at all in your calculations for your gas requirements.

You get tangled in some fishing line, What is your plan? Use first knife if not second knife.

You can't reach your cutter, where is your back up? my thought is primary on bc dring on right side of chest, secondary on waist on left side. A pair of cutters in a pocket. If all that fails use my teeth. hoping it ant spider wire or 50 pound test. Around here unlikely

Again, "my thought is", not I have.... Can you reach both? Can you reach one with either hand? is it instinctive? Do you have to look?

Your computer just flooded, what now? Make a slow safe ascent to the surface. Making a safety stop at 15 or as close as you could get. I would properly add a simply depth gauge before solo diving

How are you going to make a smooth safe ascent? in the local pits I would follow the bottom line back to the surface. Which would give me the ability to hold on to a root or something to help hold my self down.

What if you're not in your local pit? Do you have alternate means?

Your mask got knocked off, what now? pull out a spare out of a pocket. I do have a spare mask. On both snorkel trips (tuesday and today) I flooded my mask and worked on clearing it and my snorkel.

You have a failure of you BCD, the water is 200' deep, what now? dump some weight but not all of it. As dropping as much weight I have would send me shooting to the surface. If that keeps me down I would remove my bc and head up uncontroled making a AHHHH sound with my fist pointing above my head.

Absolutely last ditch efforts, there are other means that you should consider first. There are a number of other possibilities. (no, I'm not telling...get more dives first)

What have you done prior to leaving home? Told atleast two people where I was going where I would go in at and when I would come out and when I would be home. I would also leave my will. If I did go someone would be on shore.

That's the right answer!

If you can answer all but the first question in less than 3 seconds each, you're not ready to solo.

If you haven't done at least 100 dives, IMHO, you are not ready to solo.

The fact is that solo diving is not a venture to be taken haphazardly nor as a end all of diving. It is a skill that has many risks that must be identified and mitigated prior to undertaking. It's a skill and method of diving that has a few dive parameters that its benefits outweigh the risks. It's a method of diving that only very experienced divers should attmept.

Also, read this news article and rethink your question: Scuba diver dies in mishap off Gloucester - Local News Updates - MetroDesk - The Boston Globe

From this thread: http://forum.scubatoys.com/tragedies...loucester.html

Did you read the linked article?

Not trying to discourage you...well, yes I am. I want you to realize that there are a lot of skills you need to learn and master before considering the solo diver or more to the point a Safe Solo Dive! Yes, you could go out tomorrow to the local pit and dive solo and possibly do it a number of times without a mishap. But what might be a minor inconvience to me is a life threating issue for you. I say that as I have 35 plus years of diving behind me and have had several incidents that had I not acted correctly could have ended my life.

The gas management exercise I posted above? Not bragging but I was able to do the complete profile in less than 3 minutes. That's becasue 1. I know my RMV/resting SAC. 2. I have tweaked my dive factors to meet my specific profiles for the different types of dives I am going to do. 3. I have practiced those skills repeatedly. 4. I have 1,000 + dives of experience that follows me on every dive.

Relax, enjoy your dives, dive when you can ut dive safely and well within your experience level. Take it easy take it slow. Stop, Think, Act!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark
    Your right. I knew so I JUST WANT TO DIVE.
    DO not worry ant going down alone. At least I did not come back and say first solo dive done now what
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    you know your real good about summing it up quick and easy.I know I ant ready but dam I want to be wet. I answered the questions more to find out if I knew what was up and see if you thought I was right or close. Not to say well that means I am ready.
    Time yourself on this situation: (this is for bigman, no help from the peanut gallery please )

You're at 55', 20 minutes into a planned 30 minute dive. your primary is an AL80 with a starting pressure of 2900 psi
    1. How much gas should you use on this dive? well given I used a 130 steel hp in 30 minutes I would think I would be out of air at 20 minutes on a al80

You've taken a SWAG - Not good enough-it can get you killed. You need to know your SAC and calculate your cu ft needs and then convert to your psi. For me, this dive will take 62 cu ft given my RMV. with an AL80, I do not have an adequete reserve-even though I have a 40 cf pony.

2. What should the psi in you tank be at the 22 min point? 800psi I think

You can't think, you should know. Given my profile for this dive, I should have 1100 psi left in the tank. if it's less, I need to turn the dive sooner and tweak my profile and plans.

3. What is your minimum cu ft of reserve gas? 10cf

For this dive, I need 62 cu ft. that means I need a reserve of 21 cu ft. Since this means my total gas needs for this dive is 83 cu ft. That means I will cut it short by 5 minutes to stay in the safe zone.

4. What is your redundant gas system? a indepent reg on a pony properly 20cf maybe 30cf. A pony indepent with indepent doubles would be nice

As you can see, you need at least a 21cf so a 30 cf pony is your minimum. Personally, I use a 40 so I know no matter what my rec depth, I've got an adequate back up. As for independant doubles: One tank is your back up so you don't necessarily need a pony. BUT that second tank of the doubles is not considered at all in your calculations for your gas requirements.

You get tangled in some fishing line, What is your plan? Use first knife if not second knife.

You can't reach your cutter, where is your back up? my thought is primary on bc dring on right side of chest, secondary on waist on left side. A pair of cutters in a pocket. If all that fails use my teeth. hoping it ant spider wire or 50 pound test. Around here unlikely

Again, "my thought is", not I have.... Can you reach both? Can you reach one with either hand? is it instinctive? Do you have to look?

Your computer just flooded, what now? Make a slow safe ascent to the surface. Making a safety stop at 15 or as close as you could get. I would properly add a simply depth gauge before solo diving

How are you going to make a smooth safe ascent? in the local pits I would follow the bottom line back to the surface. Which would give me the ability to hold on to a root or something to help hold my self down.

What if you're not in your local pit? Do you have alternate means?

Your mask got knocked off, what now? pull out a spare out of a pocket. I do have a spare mask. On both snorkel trips (tuesday and today) I flooded my mask and worked on clearing it and my snorkel.

You have a failure of you BCD, the water is 200' deep, what now? dump some weight but not all of it. As dropping as much weight I have would send me shooting to the surface. If that keeps me down I would remove my bc and head up uncontroled making a AHHHH sound with my fist pointing above my head.

Absolutely last ditch efforts, there are other means that you should consider first. There are a number of other possibilities. (no, I'm not telling...get more dives first)

What have you done prior to leaving home? Told atleast two people where I was going where I would go in at and when I would come out and when I would be home. I would also leave my will. If I did go someone would be on shore.

That's the right answer!

If you can answer all but the first question in less than 3 seconds each, you're not ready to solo.

If you haven't done at least 100 dives, IMHO, you are not ready to solo.

The fact is that solo diving is not a venture to be taken haphazardly nor as a end all of diving. It is a skill that has many risks that must be identified and mitigated prior to undertaking. It's a skill and method of diving that has a few dive parameters that its benefits outweigh the risks. It's a method of diving that only very experienced divers should attmept.

Also, read this news article and rethink your question: Scuba diver dies in mishap off Gloucester - Local News Updates - MetroDesk - The Boston Globe

From this thread: http://forum.scubatoys.com/tragedies...loucester.html

Did you read the linked article?

Not trying to discourage you...well, yes I am. I want you to realize that there are a lot of skills you need to learn and master before considering the solo diver or more to the point a Safe Solo Dive! Yes, you could go out tomorrow to the local pit and dive solo and possibly do it a number of times without a mishap. But what might be a minor inconvience to me is a life threating issue for you. I say that as I have 35 plus years of diving behind me and have had several incidents that had I not acted correctly could have ended my life.

The gas management exercise I posted above? Not bragging but I was able to do the complete profile in less than 3 minutes. That's becasue 1. I know my RMV/resting SAC. 2. I have tweaked my dive factors to meet my specific profiles for the different types of dives I am going to do. 3. I have practiced those skills repeatedly. 4. I have 1,000 + dives of experience that follows me on every dive.

Relax, enjoy your dives, dive when you can ut dive safely and well within your experience level. Take it easy take it slow. Stop, Think, Act!

Guppy
    Probably the most important thing as mentioned is experience. I might have had 200 dives or maybe 300 before I consider solo diving. When you find yourself taking care of others more than yourself it is becoming second nature. I used to do ESA's on a regular basis. My version of a check up on yourself. If you empty your lungs as if having exhaling from what depth can you return to the surface safely, that was my bottom while diving solo. All the equipment on earth can screw up and it's still up to yourself to do a self rescue. That's the thought process I have used for years, if you surface a long way from the boat, like a long way how do you go about getting back. I have taken my bc off a couple of times, inflating it and rafted back with no strain at all. Your mind and a lot of exposure is the deciding factor.
    Bill

TadPole
    I would not even entertain the thought of solo diving without at least 100 logged dives under your belt
    knowing your Life Support System to the point of approximately how many breaths you can take at a certain depth before red lining the pressure gauge.

Guppy
    as you can see no one will tell you what gear you need so your on your own.....if anyone post what grear you need the therd will be locked, so good luck to you on your trip to finding what you should do to do a safe solo dive. SB has 2 geat polls that you mite look at that shows some insight as to how many folk's out there solo

Quote Originally Posted by scubaman450 View Post
    as you can see no one will tell you what gear you need so your on your own.....if anyone post what grear you need the therd will be locked, so good luck to you on your trip to finding what you should do to do a safe solo dive. SB has 2 geat polls that you mite look at that shows some insight as to how many folk's out there solo
    I don't think the thread will be locked and would be uncharacteristic of this forum especially since they have a solo diver section. The previous threads are pointing out something rather obvious. The first piece of "equipment" a diver needs to solo dive is experience. IMO, a good tech course particularly ones involving cave diving and such would be great place to start since they rely heavily on redundancy and streamlining of gear. In the end what you NEED for solo diving is what you use when you buddy dive. What you WANT for solo diving is redundant critical sections and the removal of unnecessary gear. Pretty much every critical failure point needs a backup and practice on how to manage various situations when alone.

Personally, I would strongly consider side mounting along with its training as a first step as that duplicates many of the failure points.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    I don't think the thread will be locked and would be uncharacteristic of this forum especially since they have a solo diver section. The previous threads are pointing out something rather obvious. The first piece of "equipment" a diver needs to solo dive is experience. IMO, a good tech course particularly ones involving cave diving and such would be great place to start since they rely heavily on redundancy and streamlining of gear. In the end what you NEED for solo diving is what you use when you buddy dive. What you WANT for solo diving is redundant critical sections and the removal of unnecessary gear. Pretty much every critical failure point needs a backup and practice on how to manage various situations when alone.

Personally, I would strongly consider side mounting along with its training as a first step as that duplicates many of the failure points.
    +1

Boy, this was a resurrected thread. When I first saw it hit the queue I thought, "Huh?" Then I saw it was from June and it all made sense.

I can't believe how far Bigman (and his enthusiastic questions that make the rest of us go WOAAAAHHHH!!!!) have come since June.

No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Guppy
    Really?!? that last time I post about the info and gear one would need to saftly solo dive just slamed by a non solo diver then the tread was locked, or perhaps I was locked out of the thread I don't know for sure all I do know is that there are way more people solo diving then they talk about it. I'm sure I know why.

Grouper
    I have not seen a thread locked for listing gear. Gear has already been in this thread.

The great SB polls seem to have degenerated into personal arguments and one individuals ideas conflicting with another on some of the posts.

Same old story and arguments on solo SCUBA diving.

I think threads may get moved to hot topics section if out of control rather than locked down now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information