Thread: is it to early

Shark

is it to early

Is it to early, no not solo diving a pony. Since we will have a extra reg setup when we pick up dad's gear I am thinking about picking up either a 30 or 40cf pony from St for safety. Should I wait or is it ok for a new diver to use one? I figured it might be a good idea since some of the areas we will dive around here are not to good on vis and we might get split up.

Does anyone have a thought on this? Not for added air or eatting up every psi of my main tank just safety.

Thanks guys

Two minds on this. An extra air source is almost always a good thing. However, being new and not having the experience it is one more thing to deal with and could easily be more of a hindrance than a help. I would probably wait, do some dives for the experience then start worrying about a pony on more difficult dives and training sessions.

For me, diving isn't a race. I figure when I know the answer to a question like this for me it is the right time for me.

Guppy
    I do now and always have believed that one needs to learn to walk before learning to run. I would suggest taking the time to learn your basic rig prior to complicating it. There will be ample time in the future to add more stuff than you can haul across the parking lot in one trip.
    Bill

Barracuda Founding Member
    Tim, Don't buy a pony. You shouldn't solo yet and if you have it, the temptation will be too great.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Shark
    who me. No intent for solo just safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    Tim, Don't buy a pony. You shouldn't solo yet and if you have it, the temptation will be too great.

Grouper

Pony

Hi,

If you want a pony, then get one. I come from the school of I would rather have it and not need it , than need it and not have it.
    BUT---- Have it with you only for safety. Do not bring it with the idea of it being just as good as your dive buddy. You depend on your buddy and he/she on you.

I dive with a 19cu ft pony on dives greater than 50 ft or so, and only as a back up if something goes wrong. On vacation I take a 13 cu ft pony with, just because of its size. (easier to pack than the 19 ) I also have a 30, but have not yet used it. The 19 has been enough for me so far.

I started diving a pony after about 50 or so dives , when I felt I was ready for more task loading.

Jim Breslin

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Get used to diving with the regular amount of gear before you start adding more. You have a lot to be working on right now; relaxation, trim, finning techniques, streamlining, emergency procedures, etc.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Shark
    Figure I will wait and see how things go and maybe put it on my xmas list.
    On a side not I put it here as I figured more of the solo guys would have alittle more experience with them. Not as a way to get into solo now or soon.

Thread Information